• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wierd light problem...

idM1028

Alright, already did a search. Couldn't find anything other than lights not working period. Finally got around to replacing the passenger side rear turn signal today. I had known it hadn't been working for a while. Before that (and even when it wasn't working) all my other lights worked fine (to include the license plate lights I had wired into the brown hot wire for the rear lights) Finally got around to replacing the bulb today with an 1156 bulb. Also redid one of the license plate light hot wires since it seemed to be coming undone. Twisted wires and electrical tape will only hold for so long. Now, with my headlights on and the right turn signal on, all my lights start flashing! With the exception of my side markers which now aren't flashing period... With the headlights off, nothing. Left turn signal seems to be working fine. Just to make sure my license plate lights weren't screwing anything up, I went ahead and disconnected them temporarily. No dice, same problem. What now? Try swapping bulbs and see if makes a difference? What is the right turn signal bulb anyways? Check the flasher?

M813A1

Worst case your 3 lever switch may be shorted internally you might want to try another 3 lever switch before you tear into your wiring. 2cents

sandcobra164

CUCV's don't have a 3 lever switch like the bigger trucks do. They are identical to a 12V Civilian model chevy truck of it's day with the exception of the 24V starter and glowplug system. I don't have a clue as to why the OP's truck is acting like it it, I've heard of CUCV's being disposed of early in their life for the same problem though.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the ground wires at the lights, front and back.

I bet you find the one one the right is broken.

idM1028

Was wondering when one of the CUCV experts would post up, thanks for the advice! I had read a few posts during my search where inoperative lights were chalked up to bad grounds, but didn't figure that would be the case as the bulbs (well, most of the bulbs in my case) were working, just not in the right order. I'll check it out tomorrow and report back.

idM1028

Details, details, details... Attention to detail kids, because those little things can screw you. As much as I appreciated the advice, I did not follow it. Yeah, I know... but I was not willing to chalk this up to a bad ground. If my lights are working, that means 1. They're getting power 2. They're grounded. Like I said, everything was working the way it should have, even with the bad bulb. My problems arose AFTER the bulb replacement. Sometimes you need to go back to what caused the problem in the first place (in this case the bulb) Turns out it WAS the bulb. When I pulled the bad one (and it looked OEM: Brass bottom, made in USA, etc.) I SWEAR it had "1156" on it. I also pulled the bulb on the driver's side and it had "1157." Hmm, maybe it needs an 1157? Went and bought a new package of 1157 bulbs just to be on the safe side. When I went to pull the new 1156 bulb I noticed it had ONE contact on the bottom. The socket had TWO metal contacts on the bottom. The new 1157 bulb? Two contacts on the bottom as well :idea: Dropped the new 1157 bulb in and now everything works as it should, even the side markers! :D Tomorrow I think I'm going to redo the license plate lights now that I have a good understanding of where everything's at and I know how to do good electrical connections (crimped butt connectors and heat shrink tubing=much better than twisted wires and electrical tape) Might as well clean up the grounds while I'm at it.

MrBouncer

Since this a thread on weird a lighting problem and the problem that started it has been solved I hope no gets upset if I kinda hijack this thread instead of starting a new one.
I have headlights(high and low), brake lights, turn signals, hazards and black outs. No park lights or dash lights. My first thought is light switch. But what gets me is that it started after replacing the GP relay and doing the Doghead starter mod. Wondering what everyone thinks.

idM1028

Go for it. Sounds like it could be a light switch. Sometimes bypassing relays, switches, etc. CAN (but not always) help you troubleshoot the problem. Get the voltmeter out. Are the parking lights getting power when they should? What about the dash lights? (the wiring diagram will help with this) If yes, then chances are it's bad bulbs or a ground. If no, then you're probably going to have to do some tracing to found out why not. What about your fuses? Is there one that's bad? Attached the wiring diagram for all this stuff. Should help you out. You can find the TM (-20) and a bunch of other stuff here: JATONKA's CUCV TM* download page Download them. It'll help you tons.

Attachments

Last edited:

MrBouncer

Well new switch solved the problem but I would like to give a word of advice for the folks that think and act as I do. When doing electrical work on you vehicle always double check the blackout light switch. It will save yourself alot of headache and embarrassment.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks