• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wierd rear end problem!?!

Hal O'Peridol

Got my 1009 back running with the new alternator belt. Went to drive it home and started to notice a wierd sound coming from the left rear tire/axle, kinda metallic sound, regular, did not really speed up when speed of truck increased.

Turned back around, and as I was exiting the interstate there was a louder noise and the left rear tire "grabbed" or stopped for a second, about foreced me off the road to the right, no other tire did this.

I am thinking wither rear end trouble, or perhaps there is something wrong with the brake shoes on the left. Will know more tomorrow after I get AAA to tow it home.:cry::cry:

motormayhem

The gov bomb strikes again! I sounds like your rear axle will need replacement or rebuild. This is the perfect time to put a 14 bolt FF in ;-).

Hal O'Peridol

I don't think it is a diff problem, as the noise is limited to the left rear tire wheelwell area (hub).

Not sure about the bearing, checked for heat right after I got off I-5 and rim/lugs not even warm.

Hopefully I will be able to pull off the brake drum and just find a broken brake piece or two.

Right now I am really po'd:grin:

First snowstorm of the year, and no M1009 to run around in. And TJHAT"S one of the reasons I bought it!

HardCorps79

The Lube Order doesn't indicate the need for any additive in the rear diff on the M1009. Because it's limited to one wheel I'd think it's a brake or bearing problem. Good luck and report back when you know more.

HardCorps79

BTW- my Mother-in-Law's former dog also had a "weird rear end problem". You know the one where their an@l sacs get impacted and they scoot their butt along the ground? Funny to watch, but I always felt bad when the poor pooch had to go get them cleaned out. Just be glad that's not the problem you're having!
rofl

4bogginchevys

I'll bet 10-1 that the issue is a leaking wheel seal on that corner, when 75-90 leaks out of the seal it gets on the brakes and makes them "sticky", the shoes grab the drum and just cant let go because the oil made up the gap, it definately explains the lac of heat with serious drag......hope it's the problem because it's about 3 hours and it's pretty cheap to fix. A gov-loc will cost more than a new truck from GL!:-D

Last edited:

kassim503

I dont believe the limited slip stuff would help in your situation, its a friction modifer that works for posi type units with clutches. You have the gov-loc that locks in using little ramps, no clutches involved. Im betting busted up brake parts on that side, but if you dont find any pop the cover off and check if your gov-loc lived up to its grenade lock name.

CDN-CUCV

First snowstorm of the year, and no M1009 to run around in. And TJHAT"S one of the reasons I bought it!
Well hopefully you can get it fixed soon and you didn't end up in an accident. Last winter, I went off the road when my front right axle locked-up and spun me backwards off the highway down an embankment, nearly hitting a power pole. From that point on, I went through my my entire drive train to check for potential problems and dealt with them. Getting stuck in the winter is no fun. Hope it works out for ya.:wink:

skark_burmer

as you make sharp turns the back end will crack and pop and sound really really bad. Also you will feel the tires bind and cause additional friction if you are on pavement, requiring more throttle for forward progress.

The good part about a gov-bomb is the housing has no large holes for the inner bits to get in the ring/pinion. It will sound horrible but you can still drive on it for a while. Eventually you will completely destroy the spider gears and then you have no drive.

Hal O'Peridol

I don't have those symptoms, sharp turns are fine with no noise at all. I pulled the drum off today, and no hardware is hanging up.

If I pull the cover off the diff, is there any way to tell by looking at it if the gov lock is bad?

I am kind of leaning towards the bearing being bad, but I fell o real play in the hub....?

gasman

Because the rear end is a posi-traction unit with a torque clutch it sometimes will lock up on the left side because the torque is predesposed to that side of the axle. The clutch pack is inside the ring gear housing and is hard to see. You will notice 4 springs just inside the where the spider gears are. Metallic shavings will sometimes make the clutch back bind up causing the differential to stay in positraction mode and not releasing. The noise is then transfered to the left side due to the torque load shifting to that side. Hope this helps. A fluch and refill with 80/90 gear lube and posi additive should make your problems go away. Also check the bearing flex plate just behind the brake assembly. Gasman

Hal O'Peridol

I got an appointment at a tranny shop tomorrow not far from where the truck is, for drain and refill the diff. They will be pulling the plate off, so that's good. Will wait to see what's going on then.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks