• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wife is now a green iron believer

dstang97

We lost power for 10 days. I had the Mep002a running the whole time pretty much. She thought the $1400 dollars I had invested was too much money and a waste. After the storm she goes to me,"Thank god you bought that generator. "

csheath

My wife was the driving force behind us getting a generator. Well, her and hurricane Hermine. She worked in emergency management for over 20 years. She went along with the idea of the mep and thinks I got a steal on it. I am right dead on 2 grand for everything hooked up. We even got to use it within a month of me getting everything to use but only for 4 hours.

I bought a PTO generator right after the hurricane hit but returned it after 25 hours of run time. Dang thing was noisy as ****, spewed oil from the vent, and required my tractor to run wide open to keep hertz near 60. Running tractor at normal 540 PTO speed didn't cut it. Poor little JD was sitting out back screaming at 3600 RPMs the whole time. Neighbor had one hooked to a 90 HP JD and blew his tractor up running it. These were the cheap Chinese PTO generators, not the nice USA 1800 RPM types.

Guyfang

Staff member
155mm;2009065[COLOR=#ffff00 said:
]it is the lock screen on my phone so she sees it when my phone is laying around[/COLOR]

You may push this a little to far. Then all **** will break out. You may have to spend a few days in the barn, before the fallout settles.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may push this a little to far. Then all **** will break out. You may have to spend a few days in the barn, before the fallout settles.
Until the power comes back on, i am the kool kid because i get up and go start a jenny.

Gotta love this weather, sundays high was 34'F and blizzard, monday 68 and beautiful, today says 71 and beautiful

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine asked me today how to start it, so we walked thru checking oil, coolant, looking for leaks, fuel gauge, preheat start, run and volts/hz adjustments. When we got done, she said, you need to write the procedure down, I said, its on the inside of the cover that you just closed. She just 'hmft' and shrugged her shoulders, said 'thats smart'
She sounds like a keeper to me!! Was your power out in the January ice storm any? I hope they get your power back on soon!!

csheath

It sounds like the PTO generators were designed for 1000 RPM PTOs. Like you, my Ford 4000 doesn't have that option, only 540.
It was supposed to run at 540. It was just geared wrong. My little tractor makes 540 at 3200 so it's already buzzing. 3600 is wide ass open.

Chainbreaker

Sometimes women just don't understand men's instinct to prepare for the unexpected.

My wife thought I had some sort of generator addiction and that... I had really lost it...:cookoo: when I increased my MEP-002a stable from one to two, then three gensets! After my last purchase she asked "Why on earth do we now need 3 generators?" My response was "Cause we have 2 electrical service entrances on the property and the one down below runs the well to keep our horses' water trough full among other things". She said "Ok, so explain what's the 3rd one for?" I said "That's for when one of the other two malfunction". She looked at me with "that look" and I could tell she wasn't really buying it...that is until a few months later during our 50 year record ice storm that took down lines & power poles and we were without utility pwr for a week. During that event, wouldn't you know it...my #1 generator hooked to the house had a malfunction (voltage went high forcing me to take it offline) and with no time to troubleshoot/repair in freezing weather and darkness rapidly approaching I was able to unhook the house genset and roll in the spare genset to restore backup power to the house. After about 20 minutes when house lights came back on she was one happy camper and she really appreciated my wisdom in having a back-up to the back-up.

jimbo913

It was supposed to run at 540. It was just geared wrong. My little tractor makes 540 at 3200 so it's already buzzing. 3600 is wide ass open.
X2, most small tractors today are short stroke high rpm jobs that suck fuel and make power at upper revs. I was thinking PTO generator before buying my 803, but couldn't justify taking a $30k tractor and putting generator hours on it, plus I might need it during a storm.

There is a farmer up my road that had a 4440 John Deere tractor hooked to a generator to run the farm and in the middle of the night the tractor blew a radiator hose and he lost the engine. I would hate to see that repair bill. Makes me wonder how many 8XX generators have experienced a similar fate.

Guyfang

Staff member
Sometimes women just don't understand men's instinct to prepare for the unexpected.

My wife thought I had some sort of generator addiction and that... I had really lost it...:cookoo: when I increased my MEP-002a stable from one to two, then three gensets! After my last purchase she asked "Why on earth do we now need 3 generators?" My response was "Cause we have 2 electrical service entrances on the property and the one down below runs the well to keep our horses' water trough full among other things". She said "Ok, so explain what's the 3rd one for?" I said "That's for when one of the other two malfunction". She looked at me with "that look" and I could tell she wasn't really buying it...that is until a few months later during our 50 year record ice storm that took down lines & power poles and we were without utility pwr for a week. During that event, wouldn't you know it...my #1 generator hooked to the house had a malfunction (voltage went high forcing me to take it offline) and with no time to troubleshoot/repair in freezing weather and darkness rapidly approaching I was able to unhook the house genset and roll in the spare genset to restore backup power to the house. After about 20 minutes when house lights came back on she was one happy camper and she really appreciated my wisdom in having a back-up to the back-up.

In a few years, it will all be your wife's idea to get gen sets. You just have to sagely nod your head whenever the topic comes up.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We got our line power back up on Friday afternoon, was very happy with the 15kw. It ran our whole house, and water well with no issues at all. I have a guy coming to look at a 30 today, when I told wife I will be showing off a genny today, she was quick on the draw of asking which one. She now is in the know of which genny she claims as hers.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
X2, most small tractors today are short stroke high rpm jobs that suck fuel and make power at upper revs. I was thinking PTO generator before buying my 803, but couldn't justify taking a $30k tractor and putting generator hours on it, plus I might need it during a storm.

There is a farmer up my road that had a 4440 John Deere tractor hooked to a generator to run the farm and in the middle of the night the tractor blew a radiator hose and he lost the engine. I would hate to see that repair bill. Makes me wonder how many 8XX generators have experienced a similar fate.

Our neighbor used his 4430 jd to power a 20kw pto generator, he said it averaged about 5 gallons an hour.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took a 30kw to him when i found that out, the electric came on before we could wire it in

lindsey97

We have been without power for 24 hours now. Currently running on our MEP-802a; wife is facebooking on the internet and nothing has been mentioned about the $3k I spent in febuary '17 on the non running genset. We have the fridge and deep freeze in the barn running on it also. Now all I have to do is come up with an explanation as to how I needed 3 5 tons to pull the genset around.

All the other neighbors around me are in the dark.

jlxb

M155 and all, I love this thread!

My neighbors all thought I was a lunatic for buying these big ass military generators. In 2012 we had the biggest flood here since 1950 and my farm went completely under water for 5 weeks. As the water was approaching the house, we opened the basement windows, turned off the power at the pole and rowed out in a boat.

5 weeks later we could get back in but there would be no power restored for weeks. I pulled in an MEP 005A hooked up to a connection terminal pre-installed on the pole and presto, we had power to pump out the basement and get to the clean up. Within days we could move back in. Every rental generator in the region was booked. We lived on the generator for several weeks.
high water 015.jpghigh water 017.jpghigh water 055.jpg
1) Boat on front steps - getting ready to take the family out
2) High Water
3) After flood - mud

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks