• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wife's first drive

wilfreeman

I coaxed mine into test driving around the field right after I bought it. She did pretty well also, but she hasn't been back in it since! It has been a bobber for over a year now - she keeps saying she is going to drive it, but hasn't yet. I think she will like it when she finally does, since it is like a big dually now.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you put the deuce in Low Range it is almost impossible to stall the engine out and it is easier to steer when creeping along while getting used to operating a large vehicle.
When I was a Drivers Training NCO and I had a newbie that had never driven a standard shift I always taught them to use Low Range and how to split shift.
Some of my best drivers were small females that had never driven a big truck before. They had not developed any bad habits and I could teach them all the little tricks that go with driving the deuce and other military vehicles.
Lack of power steering can be overcome by keeping the vehicle moving while manuvering.

machinist75

My wife drove mine for an hour once coming back from a parade wearing I believe three inch heels, her ankles were sore for the rest of the day. She did good though.

Flyingvan911

I let friends' kids drive mine now and then when we go down to Oklahoma. They just have to be large enough to push the clutch to the floor. They have a blast.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the safety perspective....

EVERY ONE OF OUR WIVES, girlfriends, or other Soldier B's MUST be taught to drive our vehicles just in case we are out in "no man's land" and become incapacitated. They just might get a field promotion to AMBULANCE DRIVER and our GREEN IRON instantly converted to a RESCUE VEHICLE to return us to civilization.

Be a good Boy Scout.... BE PREPARED ! Teach your wives to drive 'em.

(And if she refuses to learn to drive it to save your life, consider changing the beneficiary on your life insurance policies.)

Carry on.

Last edited:

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A wife that likes green iron is a keeper ! It's also easier to spend money on our trucks without getting in trouble ...

KaiserM109

Finally got her up in the driver's seat.:)
She did well, good shifts and backing up. Good thing she had 40 acres!

My wife went for a ride in my 5 ton and swears that she will NEVER get in the cab again! The problem with that is I bought the truck to become our off-road camper after I bob it and put an M109 box on the bacK.

rustystud

From the safety perspective....

EVERY ONE OF OUR WIVES, girlfriends, or other Soldier B's MUST be taught to drive our vehicles just in case we are out in "no man's land" and become incapacitated. They just might get a field promotion to AMBULANCE DRIVER and our GREEN IRON instantly converted to a RESCUE VEHICLE to return us to civilization.

Be a good Boy Scout.... BE PREPARED ! Teach your wives to drive 'em.

(And if she refuses to learn to drive it to save your life, consider changing the beneficiary on your life insurance policies.)

Carry on.
I hadn't even thought about that ! but your right. What happens if we get hurt and it's just you and the wife. Of course my wife would just say I deserved it and leave it at that ! LOL !!! I'll tell then that she'll have to walk out then by herself. ;)