• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Will 335/80R20 fit on Deuce stock rims?

Cowboy96

Greetings from the "Live Free or Die" state. I'm looking at possibly singling out the rears (and flipping hubs) on my A2 to improve handling, and am finding 11.00-20 to be common for that. I'm not sure that I really want to increase my tire diameter, as braking performance, and power to the wheels is more important to me than saving a few RPMs, or having a higher top speed. To that end I was wondering if 335/80R20 (12.50-20) fit on the stock rims or would something like that require different rims like off an A3 or?? In one thread it says the max tire size is a 12, but if I've read correctly it seems some folks are running larger. Thanks!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
335 80s require an 11in wheel. They will fit on 10in wide wheels though. Not on stock wheels. For what a 335 costs would be way cheaper to put 395s on the stock wheels. You would get alot more speed with a 46in tall tire.

A 335 80 is 41in tall. A 9.00-20 is 40 in tall so you would gain maybe 1mph

Cowboy96

335 80s require an 11in wheel. They will fit on 10in wide wheels though. Not on stock wheels. For what a 335 costs would be way cheaper to put 395s on the stock wheels. You would get alot more speed with a 46in tall tire.

A 335 80 is 41in tall. A 9.00-20 is 40 in tall so you would gain maybe 1mph
Thanks, that's what I thought the case might be. How is the braking effected by the 395s?

johnknp1

The depot I work at has a pile (36 tires!!) of brand new 335/80r20. All but a few are on military rims, it's a 10 bolt pattern. The QRP manager says they will prob go in the next sell off. Can these be put on m35a2 stock rims IF tubes are used to avoid the sealing issues? If not would the 20 bolts, nuts, washers already on the tires be correct to use when putting on a 6 to 10 bolt adapter plate? Goal would be to steal extra hardware from extra tires and avoid that part of the cost in adapter plates. Also I've trolled lots of posts and searched Google for cheapest adapter plates and best I can find is 150$ a piece, does anyone know of anything cheaper? I want to single out, flip hubs and use these 335s, as cheap as possible without doing anything UNSAFE. That's why I am seeking knowledge from all the great people on this forum. -- I hope to buy the whole lot and will be happy to sell most of them at a really good price, but will have to see if I even end up with them. Not worried about getting rich, not sure what I'll be out for the tires either, but would love to walk away even and with the 335s on my truck. All but 2 have time and they are not dry rotting at all, still have little nubbies on all but a few of them. There are also 4 445s on 20 inch 10 bolts rims, not the same as the mrap tires, brand new, not sure what I could do with them unless someone has 2 more or a bobbed duece. Anyway, love to have some feed back, sorry for being long winded.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can these be put on m35a2 stock rims IF tubes are used to avoid the sealing issues?
Yes, you can... but is it safe to even drive one mile? NO!

Those 335/80R20s are MPT tires, to be mounted (only!) on MPT wheels, 11" wide and having a bead flange height of 1.0".
The stock M35A2 wheel's bead flange height is 1.5" - which is too tall for a MPT tire to seat correctly!

... would the 20 bolts, nuts, washers already on the tires be correct to use when putting on a 6 to 10 bolt adapter plate?
Yes, usually those military bolt-together wheels have long enough studs, so you could bolt-on an adapter plate directly to the existing 20 bolts - either to the outside or sometimes inside, depending on the resulting/desired backspace.
If those wheels had the large 10-on-335mm bolt center, with a pilot hole of 281mm, they can remain unmodified. But if they had the smaller 10 on 11.25" pattern (8.75" pilot hole) you will have to cut out/enlarge the wheel center, first.

Attachments

johnknp1

Hey, thanks for the info! I will definitely go with wheel adapters if I end up with these tires. Much rather be safe.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also I've trolled lots of posts
Maybe use a better term here, in the future...

Also, if you search in evil-bay for "mrap adapter plates" you'll see some for ~$100 each. You're not likely to find less than this price.

johnknp1

Yeah hind sight is 20/20 I didn't mean trolling that way haha. Just meant that I've drudged through lotsa page posts and sites. I did find some on eBay at a better price, thanks for tip.

If I end up with all these tires is there anyone interested? If they do a silent auction I'll have to buy the lot of em. If they sell em off at a fixed price per tire I need to know how many to buy. I understand nobody would want to firm commit or anything, but a general idea of I'd be stuck with em or would be able to get them moved. I'd say they will ask 5-25$ a tire with rim. I would let them go for a 15$ mark up on what they ask just to help me with adapter plate costs. If also be willing to trade for other duece stuff, add-ons, spare parts, maybe some of those cool neon lights like they put under the ricer cars --JK

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
..... If I end up with all these tires is there anyone interested? If they do a silent auction I'll have to buy the lot of em. If they sell em off at a fixed price per tire I need to know how many to buy. I understand nobody would want to firm commit or anything, but a general idea of I'd be stuck with em or would be able to get them moved. I'd say they will ask 5-25$ a tire with rim. I would let them go for a 15$ mark up on what they ask just to help me with adapter plate costs. If also be willing to trade for other duece stuff, add-ons, spare parts, maybe some of those cool neon lights like they put under the ricer cars --JK
If I were you I'd buy them all, at that price!;)
1) That aluminum wheel alone is more than that, if sold as scrap.
BTW, those are in fact 10-on-335 centers. So, for a Deuce it will need just a 1/2" plate, bolted to the inside. I would not use those outer 18 bolts, in this case; just go with a typical (MRAP to M35) adapter.
2) The tires alone are always good for the (SEE) Unimog crowd, at least.

Besides all excitement, please keep in mind: no selling/advertising allowed in the open forums. So if you do end up with those, just post an ad in our classifieds (after upgrading your account).

davidb56

Yes, you can... but is it safe to even drive one mile? NO!

Those 335/80R20s are MPT tires, to be mounted (only!) on MPT wheels, 11" wide and having a bead flange height of 1.0".
The stock M35A2 wheel's bead flange height is 1.5" - which is too tall for a MPT tire to seat correctly!

Yes, usually those military bolt-together wheels have long enough studs, so you could bolt-on an adapter plate directly to the existing 20 bolts - either to the outside or sometimes inside, depending on the resulting/desired backspace.
If those wheels had the large 10-on-335mm bolt center, with a pilot hole of 281mm, they can remain unmodified. But if they had the smaller 10 on 11.25" pattern (8.75" pilot hole) you will have to cut out/enlarge the wheel center, first.
Ive read a lot of your posts in my short time (1 year) here on SS....You are a walking MV encyclopedia. Rarely is someone irreplaceably for their knowledge. You have definitely reached that honor.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Haha, thanks for that, but no, I'm just trying hard to A) not forget what I have learned from so many others here and elsewhere, and B) hopefully make life a bit easier, for the younger generations... And this site is a good place for me to practice both...:giggle:

johnknp1

Good copy on where to post buy/sell. I was meaning in my original post to use the same adapter inside the current rim, but to steal the bolts and nuts from extra tired if buy to go through the 10 existing holes into the adapter plate, not to remove the current inner section and start over with a larger adapter plate for the 18 holes. The idea would be to not have to buy the 60 nuts/bolts IF extra tires could provide that hardware and IF it would fit correctly and be safe.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.... use the same adapter inside the current rim, but to steal the bolts and nuts from extra tires if buy, to go through the 10 existing holes into the adapter plate
I see... but that only makes sense if you had to actually scrap some wheels.
Problem is, most of those studs/nuts are only Ø 5/8", while the 10 holes most likely measure Ø 26mm - which is pretty std for that size bolt pattern.
Thing is, the outer (flange) diameter of a typical 5/8" flange nut is barely 33mm, which means there will be very little surface left to securely clamp on (-> high chance of fretting while torquing down!) - even if you got the fastener well centered in the hole.

If I had to do this I would certainly build my own plates and go with the larger 3/4" Grade 8 hardware. (Not 1-inch coarse thread bolts, like we have seen so often...)
My drawing below gives you an idea, how...
(Those 2.5" bolts described should be long enough, even for the thicker (aluminum) centers.)

Attachments

Last edited:

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you do decide to go the adapter plate route, check out Tri State Fasteners when you're shopping for nuts/bolts. I got my bolts from them and they were the least expensive, and they gave a further discount because I bought more than 50 and even shipping all the way across the country they were still cheaper than anything I could source locally. I got the nuts off Amazon because they'd been for sale for so long the algorithm someone was using had dropped the price to a stupid low amount and I scooped them up. Also, maybe buy an extra plate for a spare.

One thing about adapter plates, if you ever need to go to a tire shop, they may not touch your wheels. This could be inconvenient if you happen to be on the road miles from home. I went adapter plates, but now I'm thinking of switching over to a non-plate solution as I'm gearing up for some long trips away from home.

Utter72

Good copy on where to post buy/sell. I was meaning in my original post to use the same adapter inside the current rim, but to steal the bolts and nuts from extra tired if buy to go through the 10 existing holes into the adapter plate, not to remove the current inner section and start over with a larger adapter plate for the 18 holes. The idea would be to not have to buy the 60 nuts/bolts IF extra tires could provide that hardware and IF it would fit correctly and be safe.
Hi. I’m new to this forum but you guys are about the only folks talking about wheel adapters. I have a truck with 6 lug on 8 3/4 bolt pattern which I am finding out that is what the deuce and a half run. I want to adapt that to a 10 lug semi wheel or a hummer wheel. Does anyone know where to find parts??

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks