• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

will a 1.5 kw 28VDC generator jump start an 003A

Scoobyshep

will the 1.5 KW 28VDC generator charge and jump the 002a 003a generators?
Never tried it. 1500 watts at 28 volt is 53 amps.

24 volt batteries, so the higher voltage helps. My gut says it wouldnt (amperage available is in the neighborhood of 500 amps). Maybe someone can prove me wrong.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd say not likely. You're usually talking a couple hundred amps of power needed to crank an engine. Diesel engines need more than gasoline engines.

Even if it does have enough power, the throttle might not be able to respond to the instant demand for full load, and cause the engine to bog down (which increases the amount of amps that the starter is demanding to replace the loss in voltage)

Even if it's a couple of lawnmower size batteries, you really should have SOMETHING there to act as a reserve and buffer between the generator and the starter motor.

Worst case if you try for too long you burn up the 28v generator head, wiring in the gen, possibly catch it on fire (I said worst case) and burn up the starter motor. Best case you just bog down the 28v gen and kill it, not causing any actual harm to either piece of equipment. Reality usually lies somewhere in between. (do those 28V gens have breakers? might just trip them if it does)

I'd recommend against trying it, but that's just me, I tend to be more reserved in what I will do to my equipment.

Scoobyshep

Capacitor bank

Or has anyone seen a spring starter? (Some of the wild things found on youtube at 3am)

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Guyfang

Staff member
Well, I have tried it. Several times. Short answer is, NO, if you just hook it up and try. What we did was hook it up, let it run a while, then the battery's will charge up, THEN try and start it. That works, most of the time. You all are forgeting that when the start switch is the start position, the heaters are also on. Its not just the starter draw. You could disconnect the heaters, and preheat the air going into the air filter housing. That works. Every unit had a battery charging panel. It was supposed to be hooked up to the 28 VDC 3KW gen set. THAT will also start the set alone. The 28 VDC, 1.5 was only used to charge battery's on trucks/jeeps/ tracks that were using the radios, and engine shut off. Oh, and we had 28 VDC light bulbs that we could use in our light sets. But the 1.5 was almost too small for that too.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know what 1.5KW 28V set you are considering but if its the 2A016 gas powered one, they can be a pain to start in their own right. They have that wrap and hope pull start.

justacitizen

Well, I have tried it. Several times. Short answer is, NO, if you just hook it up and try. What we did was hook it up, let it run a while, then the battery's will charge up, THEN try and start it. That works, most of the time. You all are forgeting that when the start switch is the start position, the heaters are also on. Its not just the starter draw. You could disconnect the heaters, and preheat the air going into the air filter housing. That works. Every unit had a battery charging panel. It was supposed to be hooked up to the 28 VDC 3KW gen set. THAT will also start the set alone. The 28 VDC, 1.5 was only used to charge battery's on trucks/jeeps/ tracks that were using the radios, and engine shut off. Oh, and we had 28 VDC light bulbs that we could use in our light sets. But the 1.5 was almost too small for that too.
Thanks. is there a separate panel that goes between the 1.5 KW generator and the batteries to just charge the batteries? or i guess i am asking if there is some kind of charge controller or DCVR to protect the batteries?

Guyfang

Staff member
Thanks. is there a separate panel that goes between the 1.5 KW generator and the batteries to just charge the batteries? or i guess i am asking if there is some kind of charge controller or DCVR to protect the batteries?
No. You had two output lugs on the gen set. We used a trashed NATO jumper cable, that had one end gone. That was hooked to the output lugs. There were several other cables that were used to go direct to a radio setup. The charging panel was issued with a 3 KW gen set, 28 VDC out put. Later we simply ordered a NATO slave connector, and hooked it to the gen set, and attached the connector to a metal plate. That was screwed to the gen set frame.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks