• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Will a DT466 fit in a M35a2

mudguppy

i wouldn't do it. based on Flat's Google'ing and the measurements i took when preping for my swap, i think you can, but it will be shoe-horned in just as tight as the MF is. you won't be able to cool it w/ the stock radiator if in the power-pedal much. the radiator will take the room currenly used by the headlight corner supports. also, forget about an IC.

after you get it to fit, plan on a different trans - no way will the Spicer last (even if 'improved'). lastly, you won't be able to find a MD trans that will fit w/o relocating the transfer and associated cross-members, then new driveshafts, too.

DT360 or 6BTA is a much better candidate.

sounds fun, though!! would be much better to do w/ A3 sheetmetal.

jatonka

Mudguppy just said it in a nutshell. The DT 466 will not mate to the Spicer 3052 at all. The DT 360 with an Allison will fit in the hole and you will need to change the front sheet metal. I am doing my next JATonka 4x4 with a 195 hp/ DT 360 mechanical with the Allison trans. and will not need to move the transfer case at all. I will need to put the headlights on the fenders and create a new front appearance for the air to air aftercooler. I bought a good IH bus with the whole set up and it runs great, also bought 2 M35A3 headlight buckets, now I need to get busy. JT

ODdave

Ok, im getting irritated as i cannot find the height X width X length, on the multi. seem like i have seen it many times before when i have not needed it.

Last edited:

ODdave

Mudguppy just said it in a nutshell. The DT 466 will not mate to the Spicer 3052 at all. The DT 360 with an Allison will fit in the hole and you will need to change the front sheet metal. I am doing my next JATonka 4x4 with a 195 hp/ DT 360 mechanical with the Allison trans. and will not need to move the transfer case at all. I will need to put the headlights on the fenders and create a new front appearance for the air to air aftercooler. I bought a good IH bus with the whole set up and it runs great, also bought 2 M35A3 headlight buckets, now I need to get busy. JT
Its a 3053, and why wouldnt it mate up? I dont plan on using it but just curious where this came from.

camoyj7

Not trying to hi jack the thread bu doesn't the DT360 have a rear sump oil pan? Wouldn't that be to close to the front axle?

135gmc

The old 466 is on a par with the 6-71----many, many of them were made, parts are available, durable as a brick, and run forever. Parts are also a lot easier to track down than anything for a Continental.

mudguppy

Mudguppy, Do you have the mesurments for the multi. I am still looking and striking out.
i can have them Saturday (when i'm back in town) - my take-out MF is still on a pallet in the shop...

[shame-less plug] anyone need a good take-out MF nearby????? [/shame-less plug]

mudguppy

... I will need to put the headlights on the fenders and create a new front appearance for the air to air aftercooler. ... also bought 2 M35A3 headlight buckets, ... JT
i thought about going the A3 route w/ regard to headlights. but $65 for a set of 'hot-rod headlights' from Ebay made up my mind for me compared to A3 bucket costs.

also, when tucking the ATA IC behind the grill, i still had room for a pair of thin Hella's as aux lights to fill the grill openings and disguise the repower from a glancing view...

Attachments

jatonka

Yeah, I know it's a 3053, the 3052 is the same box, same input shaft, just DD 5th. Sorry for the mistake. Won't mate to the 466 bell housing with or without the adaptor ring for the 5 ton, from first hand experience.

ODdave

Ok, Picked up another dt466 (1984) this weekend. Bought it b/c its looked a lil simpler than the '95 466 i have. It is a no-intercooled engine with a standard trans atached to it. I have not ID'd the trans yet but this one might be an easier fit. I can not find any tag on the engine, dose anyone know roughly what the power output might be?

ODdave

Yeah, I know it's a 3053, the 3052 is the same box, same input shaft, just DD 5th. Sorry for the mistake. Won't mate to the 466 bell housing with or without the adaptor ring for the 5 ton, from first hand experience.
Dumb question but why wouldn't the adapter ring from the m35 fit?

jatonka

They told me no question is a dumb one. The 5 speed trans #3053A with adaptor ring would not fit the DT466 engine bell. The 5 ton 800 series transmission would fit on the DT466. The DT466 we were working with was a 1990 from a 4900 series IH truck.

To answer another question, my 1986 IH 1254 series digger derrick truck without after cooler was 210 hp. A friend had a 1984 IH 1954 series tandem dump with Fuller RT613 road ranger trans and it was 245 hp.

I did discover that the DT360 engines are shorter than the DT466 engines and should fit more easily even with an Allison automatic attached. JT

ODdave

Yea, this last one was an impulse buy (happens to me alot) . I thought it was a DT360 because it looked smaller than my other 466 but when i got it home I was able to mesure the block and found it was a 466. The newer engine Looks bigger because of the different configurating of pump & intake. Oh well. Some day i'll find somethin good.

nothnslo

I am putting a 94 dt466 with a Allison in my m109. I got the grill and headlights
out of a m35a3 so that way in can hopefully fit the intercooler also.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks