• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Will a M274 fit into a M101A2 or A3 trailer and will the tailgate close???

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know the foot basket will stick out but can you still close the tailgate? I understand on the M101A2 trailer you will have to drive over one of the inner fenders. Would really like to buy a mule but need to store it in a trailer. Thanks for the help. Also maybe drive it in and have the foot basket stick out over the front fender. I have a really nice M101A2 but with wheel spacers and trimming the inner fenders she might fit between the wheel wheels.

Mark

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
will not fit between the wheel wells Mule is 48" and trailer is 44" between the wheel wells . If you take the box off , you end up with a trailer you could make a nice flatbed for your mule

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't believe it will fit into a 3/4 ton trailer. Admittedly, I am basing this upon carrying one in an M105A2. It did fit in there nicely, but the foot basket would push the rear flap out a bit. The mule took up the entire length of a 1-1/2 ton trailer.

I know the foot basket will stick out but can you still close the tailgate? I understand on the M101A2 trailer you will have to drive over one of the inner fenders. Would really like to buy a mule but need to store it in a trailer. Thanks for the help. Also maybe drive it in and have the foot basket stick out over the front fender. I have a really nice M101A2 but with wheel spacers and trimming the inner fenders she might fit between the wheel wheels.

Mark
I have both the M274 A2 and A5 mules and a M101A2 trailer and the wheel wells are just too narrow between them to handle a mule. I have toyed with cutting the wheel wells down and narrowing them as there is plenty of clearance between the tires and wheel wells but haven't done so yet. I would stick to the 105 trailer if it will fit, but I haven't looked up the specs. Good luck.

fasttruck

If you go with a M105, do you have something to pull it that will operate the brakes ? A M105 is heavy enough to require operational brakes empty. They come with air brakes to be compatible with a M35. Some have converted them to electric brakes but you need something.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 105 is too big and heavy and there is the brake issue. I'm sure it will fit in a M1101 but man have they gone up in price.

Mark

Superdave

I know this thread is a little old but I was able to get one in the back of mine with a little modification. I used a piece of plywood and mounted a couple of wooden extended wheel wells so the mule tires could go over the factory ones and not slip off and then raised the front of the trailer floor so when I drove the mule on (back words) it would lift it higher for more room to just close the tailgate with the basket on, See pics.

Attachments

SgtMajHarper

Great info and great pics. Thank you very much.

Mark
Greetings, I know it's getting to be an older post and maybe you have it all worked out by now. I just got a mule @ 3 weeks ago and was wondering the same questions. I have an M101 trailer and also a Gama Goat and was considering how I would haul the mule. I settled on getting an M116 trailer, same size as the M101, its just a flat bed version. I looked at the M105's and they were too heavy for me to move by hand plus I don't have any air brakes on my smaller trucks. Same thing for the larger generator trailers version., it would fit easier but I'd have trouble moving it around plus it wouldn't fit inside my green truck garage.

I'm going to put a tie down for ratchet straps at each corner and drive the mule on in a foreword position so the basket hangs out over the tongue instead of the rear. (That's the plan for now anyway). I'm thinking about making a little "ramp" insert to fit between the wheel wells made out of angle iron so I don't have to balance a tire on the wheel well when loading it, (kind of like what Superdave has on his wheel wells but going all the way across so it stays in place.) Not sure if I'll do that or not yet, but as of now I still kind of lean that way. Going to get some ramps and make a bracket to hold them in place when driving so they rest under the mule, all I have to do is pull them out when needed.

The trailer is complete, I'm going to get it cleaned up and painted when it warms up and I'll post some pictures, hopefully in the next couple of months.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks