• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Will Circular Runways Ever Take Off?

TsgtB

If you have an In-flight or Ground Emergency, how much of it would you shut down...?
There is enough pavement for 3 individual runways, (where 2 could still be used in an emergency).
Seems really easy for someone to land on the wrong side of the circle... (Brits drive on the wrong side)
Airfield inspections would be BRUTAL. ( my military career was airfield operations management, and no not sweeper driving).
I think it would take more air traffic controllers to keep up with all the extra access points, where parallel runways have access like ladder rungs.
Winter operations where aircraft land on ice, would be wild, anti skid and runway friction test on ice would have to be rewritten.
Tossing in a "round about" where no one has ever been on one....?
Airfield standardization is key, so every airport has the same markings, same lighting, same everything...
The "ring" of the berm banks would never work, as approach and departure ends are designed for short landings or overruns, plus everything is graded and grubbed for rocks/stumps to minimize airframe damage.
Arresting gear (tail hook cables) housings on the outer ring would be above surface or the "tape" from the reals would spool properly. (mil)
Plus the controllers could never have anyone "over their shoulder" as there would be traffic there too.
So... it's a nice thought, but that's why they have "cross wind" (bisecting) runways.
But that's just "my" opinion.

NormB

Don't think so.

My first thought (as a very low time glider, SEL pilot but with several hundred hours of crew time as a flight surgeon long ago) was the radius of curvature for that airport would have to be miles long to give enough "straight" runway to approach, touch down, hit the buckets and brakes and slow down enough to be able to steer the aircraft.

Second thought was ATC would be VERY busy indeed, and some of what TsgtB said above.

Seems like an engineer's dream sans real world experience.

NB

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will never work
Well maybe for STOL aircraft
One concept where the Cons really outweigh the Pros.

Speed for takeoff is high and the airframe has a lot of momentum.
You cannot bleed off speed on the ground, during an emergency, going in a circle, safely.

Even moderate lateral forces are too much for some landing gear systems. Tires included.
Airplanes are engineered to take off and land in a straight line.
As much as possible anyway if your fighting strong crosswinds.
You might have to crab it a lot but your still landing on a straight runway.

More airports are needed to handle the ever increasing flying public.
This is just one idea.

That's the beauty of Helicopters.
"Avoid the flow of fixed wing traffic"

Of course I can't hover up to the FBO in my Chinook or Blackhawk.
Too much rotorwash. It will flip small planes.
Have to use the wheels sometimes even though I might not want to.

waayfast

HOLY CRAP! That's all we need is a freakin' roundabout for Aircraft! NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo...............

Jim

( PVT/COMM/INST/SEL and some hours flying part 137 in a Pawnee and playing with my C-65 Continental 7AC Champ in Idaho's back Country.)

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sea planes takeoff and land in a turn all the time when the lake is too small for a straight landing or take off run. It also helps to make a few circles on the water if the surface is smooth (no waves) to give you a little rough water to run across to break the surface tension on the floats so your take off run is shorter.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually, its not. Crazy for sure, but dumb not. It was in the main stream newspapers in the Netherlands just before the weekend. In our space-limited land, it might actually be realized one day. Mind you, I would still like to have a long straight runway for emergencies, but combined, who knows.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was going to say it was an idiotic idea and then I watched the video. The science and engineering are sound. On thing I didn't think of was that the runways would be banked reducing lateral forces on the gear.

Let's build one to test and see how it works.

99nouns

I was going to say it was an idiotic idea and then I watched the video. The science and engineering are sound. On thing I didn't think of was that the runways would be banked reducing lateral forces on the gear.

Let's build one to test and see how it works.
Yeah as long as your are doing the test flight...

dmetalmiki

Some of the most 'doubted' projects in the past have worked just fine. And quite a more than practical idea with a (that's the problem) big enough circle. (Now, Let's go really 'wild' and visualize THREE! 'decks'!.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks