• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Will CUCVs continue to appreciate in value?

ryan77

Ok im talking m1008's & the gov DIDNT pay $30k for ONE in 1983.

If you buy one of gl the price paid by the gov is on the sticker which is 30k! There are several threds on here about this! Ive bought probably 10 cucvs over the years!:beer:

86m1028

If you buy one of gl the price paid by the gov is on the sticker which is 30k! There are several threds on here about this! Ive bought probably 10 cucvs over the years!:beer:
Don't believe everything you see at G.L.
If you search you will find that is for TWO.
Our goubermint isnt the brightest but they would pay OVER DOUBLE what civilians could buy equal or greater trucks for.
In 1985 a NEW Chevy K30 was $15k.

I'll look to see if I have any of those stickers your talking about.
The ones I bought show anywhere from $200 to $85000.

When I get a chance I'll post a link to the ACTUAL COST

ryan77

This has been covered on here several times! If search by the nsn then u can find the purchase price but whatever u say dude!

Tanner

...it's a Chevrolet diesel pickup, nothing more. It'll appreciate to a price that the market will bear... someone will pay a certain price for it, but no higher.
The actual scrap metal value is worth more than a rolling truck. You can spend a cumulative $10k over the years in purchase price & maintenance, engine/transmission replacement, etc., but that doesn't make it a $10k truck.

$5k tops.... in excellent condition, with everything working as it was supposed to - for about a week.

'Tanner'

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
This is only an opinion but I was in the Army when the M151, M37, Gamma Goat and other old school vehicles were standard issue so I have seen a lot of vehicles come and go.

Back in the 80's the gooberment bought the Chrysler K-cars and Dodge 800 series Pickup trucks to help bail the company out......many of the K-cars, bigger cars and vans were used in the Temporary Motor Pools (TMP's) on most bases.
I remember at Fort Benning in the 80's all of the MP and security vehicels were Polaras, La Barons and other full sized cars.
The military versions were bought and sent to many types of units. Some were used as Admin type vehicles but some were also tactical.

I think the CUCV program was an equal oppportunity for General Motors to get their hand in the pie through the sale of the various versions of the Blazer and pickup trucks. If I had to guess the bid specs were written by retired military officers acting as consultants for GM.

I was not a big fan of CUCV's when I drove them and my opinion has not mellowed with age.

ixpacman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My two cents-The CUCV m1008 and M1009 are a good alternative to buying a computerized or over emission controlled vehicle. I have over 20k on my 86 m1008 and can't say it was trouble free with a blown engine once ,glowplug issues and such but these problems had causes and solutions and I feel I have owned and serviced enough different vehicles in my 38 years of driving that I know trouble by design when I see it. I don't want a computer in my car. Nor do I want ethanol or knock off aftermarket parts. I prefer the brain to be behind the steering wheel not under the dash. The drivetrain is fairly well proven on the CUCV despite the more common problems.Get rid of the glow plug controller in favor of a button make sure the crankshaft damper doesn't spin and stay stock good maintenance and don't expect more than the vehicle is designed for and you won't be disappointed. I use mine for a service vehicle and I am very happy with it. Buy CIVY go to the dealer-pay big bucks. Thats where we are all headed with new vehicles. I like fixing it my self and controlling my own destiny. Period. I feel this might be why these vehicles are bringing a little more money as of late

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I first got into the hobby, you couldn't give me a CUCV. I was not impressed by them given that they are really civilian vehicles with some military add-ons. After a few years, I decided to purchase a Blazer. After that, my eyes were open. I love the CUCVs because, while not true tactical vehicles, they still are military trucks and you can drive them everyday. I have found them to be extremely reliable and fairly easy to work on, although electrical gremlins can be trouble!

ryan77

Its a diesel vehicle from the 80's nothing more! Every vehicle from the late 70's and early 80's Ford, Gm, Dodge were not the best!

torque49

Where would one go about getting a military blazer in the northern states? Any good spots to find them? Im in Ontario, Canada but a trip down to the States would be worth the price difference in vehicles here. There's hardly any 80's trucks left up here that don't need body work or haven't been molested with checker plate floors. And when you do fins a decent truck your looking at 10 grand or so. The price of these trucks is definitely going up. Any spots on the thread with these badboys for sale? I'm new here

ryan77

Yes the classified section! Theres lots of great trucks sold by great people!!!

Last edited:

wayne pick

Hea ryan, Way to go with welcoming the newbe to the site on his first post, Maybe give him some advice instead of insulting em with the stupid koo-koo icon. Seen you do this not to long ago to an established SS member, abusive and bulls**t.

ryan77

Hea ryan, Way to go with welcoming the newbe to the site on his first post, Maybe give him some advice instead of insulting em with the stupid koo-koo icon. Seen you do this not to long ago to an established SS member, abusive and bulls**t.

Take it easy pal !!! I wasn't insulting him!!!

100acre

I am with ya ryan.. I have 3 of the things and they are crap design, ie poor reliability ect..
thier intent was never to be a tactical truck, I think the DoD forgot about tHAT,til dersert shield.
IMHO it is civy pick up with crap prowertrain and even worst electrical system and a cool paint job...Case and point look at the number of diesel toyota hilux the US has purchased in last the 10 yrs..
The CUCV is a product of the, inclusive lowest common denomimator @ $30,000 a copy in 1983 dollars. I like to know what army dude , envisioned a 1008 on the russian steps in middle of feb. up axles in snow and ice expecting to fire right up for a mission? I don't NAPA was in the USSR in the 80's .. My endearment for cucv is religated to my ablity to keeping it running and improving. Its worth to me, is somewhere between current scrap prices and what ever the civy version is.. about 2 grand for running truck
I'd be happy to give you 2 grand for either of your CUCV's :grin:

wayne pick

torque49, As ryan77 said, The classified secton here at Steel Soldiers is a great place to find a truck. These trucks have usually been upgraded with the nessasary modifications not found elseware as alot of members here are competent mechanics. You can go with GOV Liquadations, but living in Canada might not be logisticly the best route unless you have the time to travel about the country. Private sellers have usually knocked the bugs out of them as opposed to Gov Liqu so you don't have to do any major repair from the get go. Search CUCV or whatever truck your interested in on the internet, There are pages of them. I would sell you mine but I enjoy the therapeutic knuckle smashing, burning and rendering of skin off my bald head too much. Good luck in your search.

ABN173

My rant on bashing CUCV's, they were tactical vehicles used in the service (despite any flaws). One might say the same negative stuff about other former military vehicles. Mine has been great to me over the years and say whatever you want, prices are going up. I saw a non-running M1008 on GL sell for over 4k in Alabama just a few months ago. As the supply runs out prices are increasing on these. I watch the auctions often even when not bidding and yes prices have increased.

-Dale

torque49

Ya thanks guys. I guess they dont let you into classifieds for the first 12 hours or something. Ya all those trucks of that year are going to be worth more. A set of 8 bolt dana 60 axles go for 1200 bucks around here. |And correct me if Im wrong but the m1008's have those and so do m1009's? Or a similar axle with 6 bolt ends at least in the m1009 but its 3/4 ton I imagine full floating cause my 86 suburban has full floaters.