• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

will M813 wheels fit on a Freightliner?

bevanet

I have a 1999 freightliner that I need to use to haul some stuff over a rough rocky back road in Arizona. I don't want to risk cutting up the front highway tires. The freightliner tires are 11r 22. I got to looking at the spare on my M813. The tire size is 11 x 20, but both the 813 and freightliner wheels have 10 lug holes and the pattern diameter seems to be the same. I'm not sure about the size of the lug holes or the hub hole. Just wondering if anyone has ever tried this. If they fit, I could change them out while hauling on the back road. The army tires should hold up much better.

Kjb2007

Banned
yes they are same bolt pattern (10x11.25) kind of a nice thing for 5 tons they swap out with big rigs.

tire size though the 1100x20s are just a hair bigger if i believe. i know 10r22.5 is same as 1100x20. but other then that bolt them up and go. you dont have a front drive axle in the frieghtliner so even with a hair bigger 1100x20 on the front it wont cause you no issues

BEASTMASTER

some wheels are hub pilot wheels which fit tight on the hub,keeping the wheel centered and supporting the weight. some wheels are stud pilot wheels which the studs support the weight and keep the wheel centered.if you're wheels stud holes are beveled they are stud pilot wheels. if the hole is just a drilled hole they are hub pilot wheels. 99% sure.

rizzo

some wheels are hub pilot wheels which fit tight on the hub,keeping the wheel centered and supporting the weight. some wheels are stud pilot wheels which the studs support the weight and keep the wheel centered.if you're wheels stud holes are beveled they are stud pilot wheels. if the hole is just a drilled hole they are hub pilot wheels. 99% sure.

true

eldgenb

if you are putting them 5 ton on a freighliner make sure you check for brake clearance, I don't have any experience wit it myself buy on standard trucks brake clearance dictates what size :-Dwheels you have to run at a minimum.

Coldfusion21

True.....Kind of

The friction between the wheel and the hub is what suports the weight, no matter how the wheel is centered (hub centric or stud centric).

Depending on your travel distance and speed this may or may not be an issue.

plowboy

A 1999 truck is almost sure to have hub pilot wheels on it.

It will be an issue, because the stud pilot wheel has a different bolt circle then the hub pilot does. Probably a good idea, or else some yahoo would be trying to put the wrong wheel on the wrong trucl.

If by some chance, your Freightliner has Budds, it will work. If the rear wheels have thimbles and nuts it is budds, if the rear wheels just have nuts, it is hub pilot. Also, the Budds will take a 1 1/2" socket, while the hub pilot will take a 30mm socket.

There is also an outside chance the '99 could have 8 bolt hub pilots on it. I suppose it is obvious why that won't work!

bevanet

I'm not sure if they are called thimbles and nuts. The inside rears are held on by a long hollow cylinder with threads on both the inside and outside. The inside thread screws on to the studs. I use a square drive socket on these. The outside wheel is held on by a hex nut that screws on to the outside threads. Is that called a thimble and nut? If so it sounds like the 813 wheel might fit?