• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Will not run

jdmdla

Guys,

I have searched through the forums but I am not sure if this is the same as several of the others.

Last week when driving to work, the truck lost power and died at a light in town. It would restart and I drove it for about another mile and it died at the next light. I got it out of the road by pushing it (with help). Afterwards, I could not get it to run without keeping the pedal to the floor. Even with the pedal mashed it was barely running and would not pull itself.

On the same note, for a while after the truck had been running for a while. It would idle slower than when first started. I am not sure if this is related.

I got it home and changed the fuel filter with no luck same situation. I tried to check the flow of fuel but did not remove the pink wire per the TM. There was not much fuel. I got to run a little bit once I got it back together, but now it starts and dies immediately.

I think the fuel pump is the next place to look but I am not sure. I saw several suggestions, the fuel injector pumps,and a filter in the gas tank. I am thinking changing the fuel pump will be a lot easier to complete than dropping the fuel tank.

I took it to a mechanic, not a diesel guy. He thought the engine was in a bind and was probably shot. I hope that is not the case. If it not something easy I will have to take it to someone. Anyone know a good diesel guy around Murfreesboro, TN?

I got it around Thanksgiving and have been driving it daily about 70 miles. It currently has around 60K on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cucvnut

check the return valve coming out of the IP it might be clogged. Its the black fitting on the top of the IP it has a check vavle in it. That might be clogged. Also the lift pump is not hard to change.

Last edited:

jdmdla

@cucvnut: Will check the return valve tomorrow. Thanks.
@jeeplvr246: I am hoping it is just fuel. The mechanic has me worried. He told me the 6.2 was junk and I should go for a 350. At least he was honest in saying he did not know diesels.

Cucvnut

JD if he does not know diesels find a new mechanic. the 6.2 is a good motor its jut low hp but does the job and is very reliable if you take care of it.

rednckii

The 6.2 isnt junk its just gutless unless you turbo it. Even then it is a 20+ yr old motor cant compare to new trucks. Check the valve one we had at work did this we busted out the glass bead and problem solved.

cucv1833

Maybe the sock in the fuel tank is clogged.

I would first check the fuel return line check valve on the I.P. like said earlier

While your there you can blow 3-4 psi of air through the rubber fuel return line to blow out the fuel sending sock. (with fuel cap off).

Then you can give it a try. If that dont work you can test your fuel pump as per the TM's

mistaken1

@cucvnut: Will check the return valve tomorrow. Thanks.
@jeeplvr246: I am hoping it is just fuel. The mechanic has me worried. He told me the 6.2 was junk and I should go for a 350. At least he was honest in saying he did not know diesels.
LOL I love people like your mechanic. If the guy knows nothing about diesels (and admits it) why would you trust his assessment of your diesel?

If your return valve is clogged and that valve sits after the IP the most likely source of clogging contaminates is from the IP itself. Others more knowledgeable than I have stated time and time again that a clogged return valve is most often a sign of a failing IP.

aggopian

A recent post had a similar problem. Start then stall/starve for fuel. He removed the line by the tank and blew back into the tank with compressed air. The tank sock was clogged. If you do this the sock will be blown off and fuel should flow BUT you will need to put a filter inline to stop the crud from the tank getting to the fuel pump and IP.

ryan77

I love some of these mechanics if they dont know diesel they just say its junk and throw a 350 in it! Sounds like a fuel supply issue or your ip pump needs a rebuild! How many miles on the ip???

epartsman

Definetly sounds fuel related. Check for leaks at the filter housing and along the length of the fuel line as air bubbles in a diesel will give you the same result. What kind of fuel have you been running? If you have been using straight pump diesel you may have ruined your IP as it does not have enough lubricity to keep your IP healthy.
Hope you get it all sorted.

combatmech

My first truck had similar symptoms.....It would run fine for a bit and then die. Ditto on the IP. The guy I sold my first truck to ended up tweaking the IP to get it to run right.

jdmdla

Guys,

I am obviously not the mechanic I thought I was. I took off the old fuel pump and went to put another one on. I can not get the new one to get back on. I read a little bit and saw that there is a push rod from the cam shaft over to the pump. I can not seem to get it to move even by turning the main pulling. Any ideas?

Thanks.

txmytx_catahoula

As it sits right now, gravity is holding the push rod against the cover plate. You'll have to take ff the cover plate, take out the rod, put a dab of grease on the end, put that end back in the block, put sealant on the plate, then put the plate back on. The grease will hold the rod in the block while you put the pump back on. Hope this helps!!

ryan77

Get rid off it and use a electric one! Get a small block chevy block off plate for the block! You will be better off!

BIG_RED

The electric pumps are easier to work with. But I kept my mechanical pump because I feel it would be more reliable. Eventually I want to get the best of both worlds and do both. Mechanical pump for driving - switchable electric pump for when the mechanical fails or for priming filters.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks