• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Will not start

Kenneth Cole

I know there has been a lot about this subject but here goes. I started my 1991 and drove it about 50 feet and parked it. The next day I tried to start her and all she would do is turn over fast but fire up. The start light seemed to take longer then usual to go out and I can hear the clicking \ cycling on and off for the glow plugs.
Can someone tell me the best way to check the she is getting gas and that the glow plugs are heating?

Thanks for the help.
Ken

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know there has been a lot about this subject but here goes. I started my 1991 and drove it about 50 feet and parked it. The next day I tried to start her and all she would do is turn over fast but fire up. The start light seemed to take longer then usual to go out and I can hear the clicking \ cycling on and off for the glow plugs.
Can someone tell me the best way to check the she is getting gas and that the glow plugs are heating?

Thanks for the help.
Ken
Any smoke at all? Take a line loose at your fuel filter on the firewall. Crank it over and look for fuel flow. Go from there.

papakb

Last time I looked it was summertime here in the US and the glow plugs may or may not come on depending on how warm it is in your area.

Crack the water seperator valve in the left fenderwell while your cranking the engine and see if you get fuel there. If you do then take a look at the #54 wire where it goes into the top of the injector pump and listen for a click there when you turn the start switch to the run position. This is the fuel cut-off solenoid opening to allow fuel into the injector pump. They have a nasty habit of sticking and not allowing fuel to flow.

Reactions: 98G

Kenneth Cole

Hi
Sorry it took me so long to get back on this. The problem ended up being a bad battery. Even though she turned over fast she just wouldn't fire. Put in the new battery and she fired right up.
But now if she sites over night I have to crank her over for about ten seconds before she starts. after that for the rest of the day she fires on the first crank.
Any thoughts?

Ken

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi
Sorry it took me so long to get back on this. The problem ended up being a bad battery. Even though she turned over fast she just wouldn't fire. Put in the new battery and she fired right up.
But now if she sites over night I have to crank her over for about ten seconds before she starts. after that for the rest of the day she fires on the first crank.
Any thoughts?

Ken
Sounds like a glow plug issue to me, but I'm still new to that system. Could be fuel pressure bleeding off I suppose.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks