• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Will Slave Cable Start a CUCV Without Batteries?

tgtaylor64

I have an M1009 that I want to get running but it does not have any batteries in it. Can I take another M1009 and connect the NATO slave cable and get it to start? I don't want to invest in batteries if it want start and I was trying not to have to take my batteries out of the running CUCV.

Thanks,
TT

dmetalmiki

As said. No. (but you can) Take the "jump leads" to the Original terminals, making sure positive does not contact a ground or body metal. DO NOT disconnect whilst running.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm somewhat familiar with these trucks. No way I would do it even though in theory, you could. It's just not worth it.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With no front battery, there is no 12v point supplied.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Either do it right or not at all.

Rushing and shortcuts usually end up costing
more $$

jpg

Automotive alternators depend on the battery in order to regulate voltage. If you disconnect a running alternator from its battery, you let the blue smoke out of the alternator. Or worse.

I can imagine ways you could get this to work, but they're all really bad ideas that would make catastrophic and expensive failures all too easy. I would either move the batteries you have, or buy new batteries.

Last edited:

amphi

Slave starting the CUCV

If the rear battery is completely shorted:
No voltage will be dropped resulting in the front battery and the entire 12v truck circuit seeing 24v. Not a good thing

If the rear battery is open:
All voltage will be dropped and the front battery and 12v load will see nothing.

Anything in between these two extremes is possible. This is why the TM -10 clearly states:

"If one battery is missing, DO NOT attempt to slave start."

"Wait 3 to 5 minutes after hooking up slave cable to "dead" truck, before attempting to start it. Damage to the truck’s electrical system may result if the truck is started sooner."

This wait time is an attempt to allow the batteries to receive charging current form the source/slave and become somewhat balanced allowing the 12v circuit to see a voltage close to the designed 12 volts.

Be very careful when slave starting the dual voltage CUCV -- follow the TM.

Copied from this post
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...cv-and-5-ton&p=1026048&viewfull=1#post1026048

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks