• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Will the Deuce pull a 40' CONEX box?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
RE: Will the Deuce pull a 40

paint the conex box od, put some reporting marks on, no one will give a second look, if old dr could do his dr trips, this should be no big deal

M1075

You would be in for a long slow drive. I don't think it is a good idea. Pay the pro's to move your container, or try something like ABF's www.upack.com

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I've seen the bill the pros charge to move stuff. Sometimes it's not a good deal at all. I'd rather spend time sitting in a deuce pulling a trailer than spend a couple grand paying two Mexicans to haul my stuff. It may take more time, but if he can do it in one trip, at least he knows where his stuff is when he's pulling it.

Maybe it's just because I don't trust other people with my stuff.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

Towed my M127 with the dolly I built and it was a slow go on any hill but could make 55 on flats with a long run. The duece will handle it but it will take a lot of patience and a lot of time with the four ways on because you will be going a lot slower than 45 MPH. See the thread in the trailers section of the site. The M127 is a heavy trailer and the total I was towing figured in at about 17,000 with the dolly and trailer combined. I am really looking for an M 818 to tow this because it was such a load on the duece.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've moved this monstrosity before and at about 28,000# it took some time to get it up to 50 MPH. A 40 CONNEX tares at about 7000# so keep the weight issue in mind.

Attachments

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After seeing the rig DR pulled to texas. I would think it should do just fine. I've pulled my M127 loaded with the 197 dolly converter just fine. Like they say, don't expext hwy speeds. But it will get you there. I forgot what DR was grossing with the 109, bulldoser,40th flatbed, tar tank, and spare multifuel engine. Not to mention a bunch of other stuff. I would have to guess it was atleast 65K.
BTW, Where in TEXAS are you going?

baja_power

Thanks for the input guys. Ken, Dad is thinking of moving to the houston/ SA area. He is down there now and loves the area. he plans to start looking at real estate soon. Maybe a 20' Conex box will work. Time is no issue so i figured the speed wouldnt be too high. anyone know of a place to pick up a M1022? GL has 2 or 3 but they look like they have seen better days.

houdel

Don't forget, the Deuce is only rated for 10,000 lbs highway towing capacity. By the time you add in the weight of the dolly, trailer, CONEX box and whatever you put in it, you are going to be about four times your rated GCVW. If crap happens along the way, your butt is going to be in one VERY big sling! I'd suggest a M105 trailer, load up the Deuce and trailer, and make a couple of trips out of it. If you get in an accident towing that CONEX box and someone gets injured, you may spend a lot of time looking at the world through steel bars!

I hate to rain on your parade, but I'd rather see you safe than sorry!

houdel

How much are you expecting to pay for a conex? I could use a couple of 40 footers for storage, but I can't seem to find them out my way.

houdel

Well worth the price, if I could find any locally. I'm spending $135/month for storage units to store the the accumulated junk I don't have room for in my new place.

houdel

baja_power said:
they are readly available.. just have to look ;)
Depends on where you live. The entire COUNTY where I live has a total population of about 11,000 people, the biggest "city" in our county has a population of 2400 people. The nearest "Big City" is in the next county over, about 25 miles away,population of about 18,000. At least they have a Wal*Mart, Meijers, Lowes and Menards there. Our local phone book is about 1/3 the size of a Gideon's bible and has the complete white pages, yellow pages and governmental listings for THREE full counties and 3/4 of a fourth county!

I'll keep looking though, a grand or so for a conex container beats the $135 a month I'm paying to store my excess stuff in the mini storage!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks