• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Will the M35 Be enough?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd get a 5 ton for the containers.

Try Johnson bar. It's a lever that mounts on the steering column that applies the trailer brakes independent of the truck brakes.

Godspilot

If you try to pull a 40 foot connex with a deuce and dolly you are going to be very unhappy.

The standard deuce engine has around 140 HP on a good day. Even if you swapped an LDS that has around 200 HP you are still going to be a toad in the road.

Unless you have a lot of ballast in the bed a loaded connex will shove you all over the road. A cargo truck does not have a "Johnny Bar" or "Hand Valve" that allows you to apply the brakes on the tow dolly separately from the truck.

The first time you drop off a big hill, check your rearview mirror, and see that rig trying to pass you will immediately suffer from "Pucker Factor 10", explosive defecation or both. And backing up is almost impossible, you do not want to get a rig like that in a bad place.

I pull a 32 foot van trailer with my M927 and a tow dolly and I always think way ahead of where I am to keep from getting in a bind.

A long wheel base truck may be an issue plowing snow due to turning radius. You might consider a tractor and have some way to set a few thousand pounds of ballast on the 5th wheel. The advantage with a tractor is that you can pull a step deck or rail trailer to haul the connex on.

I have an M275 Deuce tractor for sale if you're interested. Also have a LDS engine for transplant. PM if interested.
PM box is Full

Godspilot

I read that and started laughing hysterically! Got a funny look from my wife until I explained what I was laughing at and she joined in.
Try it! go to Google Images and Type in Johnny Bar, It gets better if you type in truck johnny bar and is down right funny if you type tractor johnny bar.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
A "Johnny Bar", Hand Valve or Trolley Brake is a lever located on the right side of the steering column that allows you to put air on the trailer brakes without depressing the brake pedal. When pulling multiple trailers ("wiggle wagons") it allows you to put air on the trailers and hold them back when going down a hill or if they get to moving around some. You adjust the brakes on the rear trailer a little snugger than on the front trailer. If you are pulling a semi-trailer you can use the trailer brakes if you just want a little braking effort when descending a hill or to keep the trailer from rolling back when trying to couple up, This is only on trailers with air over hydraulic brakes,, straight air brake trailers lock down when the air is bled off.

Sephirothq

IT sounds like a 5 ton tractor might be a good way for you to go. Did you know you can take the 5th wheel off and put a bed on it? A few guys have done that a well. If you get an M818 it has a imiliar look as thw duece. 250 hp cummins engine, 5 speed manual transmission

Godspilot

IT sounds like a 5 ton tractor might be a good way for you to go. Did you know you can take the 5th wheel off and put a bed on it? A few guys have done that a well. If you get an M818 it has a imiliar look as thw duece. 250 hp cummins engine, 5 speed manual transmission
Thanks, yes I did see a few posts on putting a bed on a tractor. Tractor sounds like the way to go, just still rolling around 2 1/2 or 5 ton. I am thinking about the deuce more and more because of the fact that IF I do pull a container in the next few years then it will be empty. If in 5 or so years I decide to move everything then I can trade out for a five ton or just buy another one:)

Godspilot

The other thing I forgot to say is that I am a HAM radio operator. It would be very nice to swap boxes. So tool box on the back during the week and every once in a while put a small radio room box with a collapsible tower, for a weekend of contesting.

Sephirothq

There are a few things that i duece will buy you over a 5 ton. The GVW on a duece is no greater then 23,000 or so lbs, 23,530 for a winch truck. This means you are below the magic 26,000 lbs number that a normal class C license covers. Anything above 26k and you will need a higher class license. Not necessary a CDL. Second it is a mulitfuel engine You can get an old M52 tractor the M39 series trucks used the LDS mulitfuel engine. JUST BECAUSE IT SAYS MULITFUEL DOESN'T MEAN YOU CAN BURN ANYTHING. Sorry but I feel that needs to be spelled out. If you clean, filter, PH balance and filter again the "fuel" You can burn a larger variety of fuels. Alot of people don't play chemist and end up ruining injection pumps. third the truck is lighter for all things parts, tires, brake drums, so everything is lighter on a duece. last you will get 8 mpg with a duece. On a 5 ton you are over 26,000 lbs so you will need a higher class license you have power steering and more Hp at your disposal and it is easier to get more power out of the 855 NTC then the multifuel. things are heavy 11.00 x 20 tires make the truck higher but you can run taller tires then a duece and singles are easier to find with the M939 series 14.00 x 20 radial tires out there. The duece you almost need custom wheels A3 wheels are out there but expensive and the 14.5 tires are hard to find and expensive. you only get about 5 mpg max. So some more info to think about.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
5 mpg max is incorrect. I am getting 9 to 10 empty. Don't know about loaded as I can't carry load with my plate 21600/0 Gvw.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi All,
Things I plan on doing with the truck: Tow service for my shop (flat bed or trailer?), Plowing out the parking lot in the winter (haven't found any plows or plow mounts yet), pulling my farming friends out of wet fields (Need Winch), Back up power (can you hook a Generator up to the PTO?) and Handling and transportation of 40FT shipping containers (will this truck be big enough for this or do I need a 5 or 10 ton?
Really if you are going to TRY and do this you want a M932A2. Pulling a 40 foot CONEX or a trailer and expecting any kind of power the little multi will leave you unhappy. Putting a plow on a M48 or M275 would be absolutely miserable using it.

(and the 8 MPG for a deuce above is incorrect, I've never gotten under 10 and that's loaded cross country)