• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Will the winch from 813 5 ton work on m35a2 Deuce?

ida34

First off, I know anything will fit with enough weld and plate steel. That being said, will the winch off an 813 5 ton bolt on to the M35a2? Is the 813 a pto winch also? If so, will the PTO fit the m35 trans? I would expect the driveshaft is longer and would I would need a shaft from an M35. Is the frame mounting brackets the same? I see one that does not run on GL near me and think this would be a great parts truck. If the winch works this would more than make the purchase worth the trouble.

Thanks
Chuck

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will not bolt on. There would be considerable engineering and fabrication required to do the job. The PTO is not interchangeable either. Even if the 813 winch was free, by the time you got everything together, you would have saved money to buy a winch kit off a parts truck. BTW, the 813 winch in PTO.

Elwenil

If I remember right Tom had to do a bit of work to get that front winch in. I believe he wanted it tucked in as much as possible, and was able to do a few mods to get it set back in the frame since he has the Cat engine in it. Might hang out pretty far if you just tacked it on the front of a Deuce. Heavy too.

mangus580

Good point on the weight Lanty. I know Bjorn has mentioned numerous timeas as to how the 9x20's can just barely support the weight of the deuce winch. A 5 ton winch is probably way too much. Especially since like you said, it would have to be out farther on the front than Tom put his.

Almost a shame... a 5 ton winch with tensioner sure would be nice to have!!

spicergear

I got away with that swap where most people won't...it sure ain't cause I'm special (at least not aside from the retarded way) but my installation of the shorter CAT V8 allowed me to move the radiator back by about 1 full thickness of itself which allowed the big 20K Garwood to have it's backstrap vitually against the front crossmember. Width's are close enough to be just a slight bother. I had to trim about 1/16" of material off the side of the winch so that it, and it's mouting plates would fit were I was wedging it. I only extended my frame by 7-5/8" where the normal extensions are much longer. They, however sit the winch near the top of the frame, not between it like I have done. My drive went from a stock deuce PTO, to a stock M715 front driveshaft w/slipyoke and 1310 U joints, to a custom shaft with 1310 yoke welded on, then supported by a large pillow block, then shot to a custom couple I welded together, then to the winch pinion. The thing works great and is fast!

Attachments

Spicergear, i see that this winch is driven on the left side. did you get it that way or did you flip it? is that a stock 20,000# garwood? also are all 2 1/2 ton pto's on the left or is this due to your conversion? we are looking to drive a large drag winch on the XM818W/W with a second pto. not sure on the drag winch rating but it has 7/8" cable. i know this is the deuce thread but a winch is a winch.

spicergear

Dave P, GOOD EYE! Well, here's the deal with that winch, YES, you are correct that they normally drive down the pass side on the five tons. This is indeed a 20K Garwood I had picked up on ebay. These winches are a modular design and can have the pinion flipped and the winch spun around to drive out the other side. I have done with with the rear 10K Garwood under my M715. This one, however came to me like this and saved me the trouble.

YES, all the deuce truck with the normal 3052, 3053 and 3053A trannies have one PTO port on the driver's side of the tranny. I'm running around 240' of 5/8" wire core on this and have 250-300' for the rear one once I complete it's drive.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks