• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Will this truck have rockwells?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
with the 819, it would be to small, just a little bigger than a wheel chock (a cucv)

rizzo

We discussed the strength before and nobody could come up with a definite on which joint was better. Anyone know now?

bfr do you have drive shafts with the axles?

jasonjc

Hey I whatching those trucks. Going tomrow to look closer at them the M530 fire truck is at the top of my whish list for parts for the one I have. or what goes cheap. Is anyone else hear looking at any of these.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
rizzo said:
We discussed the strength before and nobody could come up with a definite on which joint was better. Anyone know now?

bfr do you have drive shafts with the axles?
I've never heard anything that would support a claim of ujoint superiority, but the widespread notion that they are better is enough to make them more valuable.

I did hear someone say "you shouldn't run tires bigger than 46-" with the non-ujoint"
but I have a sneaking suspicion that may be the result of someone misunderstanding the limits on tire size based on rear axle spacing.

EDIT: unsure about the driveshafts :oops:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both axle types are par in strength. The problem with the ball axles is collateral damage if you do break one. They take stuff with them.

civicnar

If you get this before you go up there. I would greatly appreciate you taking a gander at the axles to make sure that they are top loaders and also if you can look at the dodges or any 1009's and see if they have the Dana 60's in teh front. I know the 1008's do but I am getting mixed reviews on the others. I want to go down there but I cannot get off work and they are only open normal business hours.

rizzo

civicnar said:
If you get this before you go up there. I would greatly appreciate you taking a gander at the axles to make sure that they are top loaders and also if you can look at the dodges or any 1009's and see if they have the Dana 60's in teh front. I know the 1008's do but I am getting mixed reviews on the others. I want to go down there but I cannot get off work and they are only open normal business hours.
the truck above has top loading rockwells. They have a 6.72 gear ratio. Lockers are about $375. cheaper than the D60. If you are mudboggin go right to the rockwell and forget about the d60. the toploader will give you better drive shaft angles too.

My buddy runs 52ish inch tractor tires with ball style joints and has twisted drive shafts 9not deuce shafts), but not broken the joints.

civicnar

Sweet. So let's verify the knowledge that I think is correct the 52 studebaker came with Rockwells and the 52 GMC came with a GMC axle that is not so good. Someone please verify this. Thanks

rizzo

In my opinion I would rather have the rockwell axles. the parts are readily available and cheaper, plus you get double reduction system and I THINK the gear ratio is lower on the rock. (can anyone verify?)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks