• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Will welding to the top of a shackle pin damage its temper?

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The front shackle pins have a thin plate tack welded to their head. From that plate a short chain runs to the clip. This keeps the shackle pin and its clip together and certainly helps reduce the chances of losing either, but mostly from losing the pin's safety clip.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

I would like to do the same with the rear shackle pins on my M35A2 (and my pioneer tool trailer too actually). As the thread title indicates, do you think welding a small plate/tab to the head of the pin will have noticeable affects on the temper of the shackle pin? I wouldn't want early failure or reduced strength due to one end having lost its temper.

Yes, one would have to be careful on the rear to not make the pin head, with the addition of the tab, too big as the pin access hole on the side of the bumperett is only so big.

image.jpg

Alternatively, I was also considering just drilling a hole on the inside of the bumperett and attaching one chain end of the clip to a bolt through the added hole.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't say for sure but on several vehicles I've owned, I drilled them like a towbar pin and added a keeper that way.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Zane, Go ahead and tack weld them on. That pin will not get hot enough to affect it strength. It's just a tack weld.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with Scar59! Just drill a small hole about and 1/8 to 1/4 in the middle of the keeper and tack it on, grind it smooth and its a keeper :)

brianp454

I agree. The head on that pin is quite thick and the heat of the weld for that little chain or a small rod loop to hold it will not go deep enough to matter (fits the definition of a tack weld).

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
When I got the 819 in 04, I drilled 1/8 holes in the head and used short STEEL pop rivets, unless you beat the head with a hammer to drive the pins home, the retaining chain will stay there for ever.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
by tempered, you mean hardened? hit it with a file, if it cuts it is not hard plus if you can drill it with an ordinary drill it is not hard. when you weld it just let it cool down on it's own.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
by tempered, you mean hardened? hit it with a file, if it cuts it is not hard plus if you can drill it with an ordinary drill it is not hard. when you weld it just let it cool down on it's own.
What Tom said. If you tack weld it, you should be able to maintain a grip on the pin after welding. It should not be too hot to hold. In that case, you have not heated it sufficiently to affect the metallurgy.

Rick