• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch and Bumper Project

infidel got me

I would love to be able to teach this stuff to anyone who wants to learn. Sadly my son doesn't care at all about mechanics or vehicles or anything outside of his computer. To bad you all live across the nation ! Of course I'm sure the Marines are still teaching this stuff ! (I hope ! )
Agreed, if x-box sold a vehicle, both my sons would know every moving part-how much it cost-when it was made-etc.etc. I only hope that vehicles that my kids own will fix themselves, cause they don't even want to learn how to check the oil!

99nouns

I would love to be able to teach this stuff to anyone who wants to learn. Sadly my son doesn't care at all about mechanics or vehicles or anything outside of his computer. To bad you all live across the nation ! Of course I'm sure the Marines are still teaching this stuff ! (I hope ! )
You know I might take you on that one day but until then I have to tell you a story;

I got a friend who is Vet from Airborne and he was a para-trooper and at age 60 he went to visit his old base where he was trained and they offered him to watch the young guns in training jumping off the tower with a parachute, and it started raining when they were just going out to field, and the training was cancelled due to rain, he was pissed off like crazy, he complained to me that when they were training, it didnt matter if it was a tornado or a sky was falling they still would have to jump drenched in mud all the other good stuff. And he asked why it was cancelled, who ever in charge said there was too much risk factor in troop injury they didnt want to be sued, I am confused on whose side I would be...

rustystud

You know I might take you on that one day but until then I have to tell you a story;

I got a friend who is Vet from Airborne and he was a para-trooper and at age 60 he went to visit his old base where he was trained and they offered him to watch the young guns in training jumping off the tower with a parachute, and it started raining when they were just going out to field, and the training was cancelled due to rain, he was pissed off like crazy, he complained to me that when they were training, it didnt matter if it was a tornado or a sky was falling they still would have to jump drenched in mud all the other good stuff. And he asked why it was cancelled, who ever in charge said there was too much risk factor in troop injury they didnt want to be sued, I am confused on whose side I would be...
That is depressing ! When I was in we had to walk a 100miles up hill each way ! OK not that bad, but I remember I broke my foot ( the large long bone on top of your foot) on the confidence course. Every day I would just ram my foot into my boot and lace up those strings as tight a I could stand it. If I had mentioned any injury they would "recycle" me and I didn't want another 3 months of Boot Camp !!! The drill instructors where aware of it, but as long as I kept up they didn't care.
Of course 20 years later I needed surgery to correct that stupid bone which had set wrong ! The thing is I wasn't the only one who had injuries either. Different times I guess.

rustystud

View attachment Scan0072.pdfView attachment Scan0073.pdfFor the last couple of days I've been working on how I will mount the winch to the bumpers. I came up with this simple plan. I will have a 5/16" or 3/8" plate bent and cut to this diagrams dimensions. There will be a 1" bend on each end to overlap the top and bottom of the bumpers. This will help in indexing the plate. There will be 14ea 1/2" bolts holding the plate to the bumpers. There will be a cutout in the center with holes for the actual mounting of the winch and roller fairlead. On the 14 holes there will be welded a stand-off made from XXX pipe and 2-1/4" long.
The plate will cost me about $200.00 to have fabricated up. I no longer have access to bending equipment to make this myself. Also my small welder is caput !
My large welder is stuck in the back of my shop buried under years of stuff ! It would take me months of work to clean it out ! Someday.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would much rather fight today's soldier than the Vets from WWII and Vietnam given the same age and equipment! When you get ready to do a rear winch Rusty PM me I will give you one and some metal to mount it with. Thanks for your service!

rustystud

rustystud

I had to revise my plate plan. Here is the new and improved version ! The fabrication shop could not supply any pipe to weld to the plate. So I needed to revise everything. There will also be a 1-1/2" lip on the top and bottom instead of 1/2" . They could not bend that small of a lip. So I will be drilling into this lip into the bumpers and attaching bolts there also.

Attachments

Last edited:

rustystud

Are you still working on it?
Yes. In fact I will be picking up the plate from the fabrication shop in the morning. I'm also going to take off the bumper assembly and weld on some 1 inch "D" rings I bought. The rain has not stopped for days now and it is such a pain to work outside in it ! So this project is taking longer then I planned for but I will get it done ! I bought some quick-disconnects for the cable, I just need to save up some money to buy the 4-0 welding cable I will be using.

AZK9

... The rain has not stopped for days now and it is such a pain to work outside in it ! So this project is taking longer then I planned for but I will get it done ! ...
Hope you get a good long string of nice, warm and dry days so you can get ahead! [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks