• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch and Bumper Project

rustystud

001.jpg006.jpg005.jpg007.jpg008.jpg

Here's the diamond plate I'm making to cover the winch and provide a safe place to stand on.
I have a few more holes to drill and tap out, then clean and prime the plate. After the primer is dry I will be painting on "Herculiner" on the top of the plate.
Then I can stand safely on the bumper without worrying about falling off !

Looks amazing, great job! Could you post a few pics showing more of the front of the truck? I'd love to see how it looks in relation to the rest of the truck. Did I mention great job! :cool:

tommys2patrick

Very professional job. I like how you cut out around the other mounting tabs and the access door. Even spacing between panels. more room to stand on the bumper without your toes getting caught up or slipping off is a real plus. I always like your builds.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm digging the rubber bumper pads. I've never thought of something like that, but I like it! Reminds me of the bumper pads on my '77 Plymouth Trailduster, which seemed a common feature in that era. I've also seen the large HMMWV bumpers with similar.

rustystud

I'm digging the rubber bumper pads. I've never thought of something like that, but I like it! Reminds me of the bumper pads on my '77 Plymouth Trailduster, which seemed a common feature in that era. I've also seen the large HMMWV bumpers with similar.
Our shop trucks all have these extremely heavy duty push-bumpers to push dead busses around the yard and into the shop. So I thought "why not ! " . This way I can help push a dead vehicle ( truck) off the road and not destroy their bumper in the process.

I also loved the 1970's Plymouths and Chryslers ! The 440 cid engine was an awesome power plant. Also the 727 Torqueflite transmission was just a thing of beauty and simplicity !

Last edited:

tommys2patrick

Do you have a bumper step out of sight? looks like quite a first step to get up there, at least for my scrawny legs.

Looks like ditch lights just behind the cab at the bottom of the bed. Or is that more of a work light?

kungfu dave

That is a pretty impressive upgrade. Mad Max would be jealous for sure! lol Just out of curiosity, I didn't see it asked in the thread, how much lower is the new bumper versus the old? Did you raise the top bumper or simply add a second one to the bottom side? If I ever get my 5 ton running I will be looking for a similar improvement as well.

rustystud

Do you have a bumper step out of sight? looks like quite a first step to get up there, at least for my scrawny legs.

Looks like ditch lights just behind the cab at the bottom of the bed. Or is that more of a work light?
I mounted LED lights on the left and right side of the bed and tucked away in the rear bumperettes . They move out so I can direct the light to the side of the truck if I ever need to work on the truck in the dark somewhere.
I don't have a ladder, yet ! I'm planning on adding some foldaway steps later.

rustystud

That is a pretty impressive upgrade. Mad Max would be jealous for sure! lol Just out of curiosity, I didn't see it asked in the thread, how much lower is the new bumper versus the old? Did you raise the top bumper or simply add a second one to the bottom side? If I ever get my 5 ton running I will be looking for a similar improvement as well.
The top bumper is in the stock position. By adding the second underneath I gave myself a perfect place to mount my WARN winch. I'll be adding a brace from the bottom bumper to the frame in case I ever have to push someone.

rustystud

Well it's time to add that brace. I had some 3/8" 4X6 angle iron cut to 2.5" width for the push brackets mounted on the frame. I will be welding a 1/4" side plate to both sides of them to "box" them in for strength. I have some extra bumper plates mounted on the bottom of the lower bumper to weld the angle iron brace to. I just need to cut the angle braces now, then start welding everything up.

001.jpg002.jpg004.jpg007.jpg008.jpg009.jpg010.jpg011.jpg

winfred

planning on mounting my warn 18k in a similar way to shoot under the notch and plating the top for a standing area, but not planning on running a 2nd bumper, though it does look pretty mean, almost looks like a wrecker. i scored a cheap set of bumper extensions and garwood mounts for a reduction of things i have to fab, not sure if the garwood mounts will be useful at all but....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks