• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

winch cable experts?

bigbird1

I just got a fixer upper winch and plan to put on my m35a2. it needs seals and a winch cable. i cut the cable in two, and it is a 6 strand rope center cable , i have a friend who had some good used 1/2 cable but its finer and had 8 strands with rope center about 300 feet. any idea on strength or if it will work. it bends better than the org.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
used 1/2 cable, finer and had 8 strands with rope center, about 300 feet. any idea if it will work. it bends better than the org.
Yes it will work, of course. If you have a plain, open drum winch - you could use bailer twine... In theory!

If it's a smaller diameter than factory AND you have a level wind, then the cable tensioner WILL NOT work, unless you move the fixed pulley OR increase the pulley wheels size to make up the difference. If no level wind then no prob.

If it's a smaller cable - you can hold more on the drum, BUT you will have less capacity unless the quality or type of cable is better...

Oh yeah, keep the cut pieces - finish the ends with clamps/thimbles etc., keep them coiled in old motorcycle tyres and they will come in handy for compound pulls or extensions.

Hope this helps.

bigbird1

Yes it will work, of course. If you have a plain, open drum winch - you could use bailer twine... In theory!

If it's a smaller diameter than factory AND you have a level wind, then the cable tensioner WILL NOT work, unless you move the fixed pulley OR increase the pulley wheels size to make up the difference. If no level wind then no prob.

If it's a smaller cable - you can hold more on the drum, BUT you will have less capacity unless the quality or type of cable is better...

Oh yeah, keep the cut pieces - finish the ends with clamps/thimbles etc., keep them coiled in old motorcycle tyres and they will come in handy for compound pulls or extensions.

Hope this helps.
Its the same size cable, both 1/2 . just wondering if 6 strand is stronger than 8 strand ? both have wick center and both are 1/2 ?

gungearz

I would just put the standard 200' of 5/8" line back on it and call it a day. I wouldn't play with the 1/2" cause it will snap if you get stuck in some mud good enough... Even though you might say you won't play in the mud, something will eventually happen when you really need to use the winch and breaking a cable at full tension is definitely no joke. My dad blew his knee out from a snapped cable on a jobsite... Not cool to use a smaller substitute.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is much more than just strand count, that relates to strength.

Reading the forums(searching) and the TM would benefit you greatly. We have covered the importance of using the correct winch cable and explained what is correct so many times, it make my head spin(360 degrees).

There are huge differences in cables.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
would just put the standard 200' of 5/8" line back on it and call it a day.
Wrong, absolutely incorrect.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Read your manual or search!

1/2" IPS

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I try to read every single thread ever single day. I try to keep the info correct. It is a never ending task and is pretty much impossible to keep a forum 100% correct. Think about it...

The Internet is so full of incorrect information, it is ridiculous.

People get very upset when they are told they are wrong, or get corrected.

Why would any one person want to spend there life correcting the rest of the World?

There is very little appreciation(quite the opposite actually) for a person that does this.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agree with Doghead in that factory is always the safe bet,

HOWEVER, since the manual was written, AND the then military budget dictated, there have been improvements in most technologies.

The information IS out there. Cable ratings, bend radii, lubrication recommendations, termination specifications etc. Heck - there are loads of peeps going the 'BlueSteel" route (nylon string!) which is aledged to be stronger! ..... in certain circumstances.

Do the research, know your equipment and stick to the specified ratings/specifications of what ever direction you go.

If stuck in the mud and if in doubt - add a snatch block.

Edit. Be carefull.

Messing around with winches (even small 4x4's) is very dangerous, potentially fatal, even for trained military personnel.
There was an incident recently, where a M984 crew were sent to a 'downed' truck, didn't return to base, then another M984 was sent out and they found the crews of both trucks dead because the rigging failed and it was a big mess. All the 984 guys were fully H8 trained/certified and experienced, with un-modified equip. You have been warned!

Last edited:

gungearz

I try to read every single thread ever single day. I try to keep the info correct. It is a never ending task and is pretty much impossible to keep a forum 100% correct. Think about it...

The Internet is so full of incorrect information, it is ridiculous.

People get very upset when they are told they are wrong, or get corrected.

Why would any one person want to spend there life correcting the rest of the World?

There is very little appreciation(quite the opposite actually) for a person that does this.
Well doghead, I appreciate the correction. You learn something new everyday. This correction was well needed for safety reasons... Like I said, a snapped cable is no joke.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Especially if it is the arresting gear cable on an aircraft carrier. The little winch cables look tame in comparison.

I, along with many others appreciate Doghead's never ending job correcting issues on this site, even when he deletes my posts.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
A 5T uses 5/8 cable, the deuce uses 1/2 cable, the FINER the cable, the less abrasion resistance and more flexible

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of good info. The 2-1/2 uses 6x19FC, IPS, 1/2".
The higher strand count that you mentioned is easier to bend but does NOT have the crush resistance of the 6x19. On a multilayer winch soft rope will crush in the lower lays and that is bad.
A good replacement is 6x19IWRC, EIPS, 1/2", that gives a little extra safety factor on the 10k winch.
Be sure to use the proper shear pins.

Do not get me started on the synthetic ropes, I have some shots from Woods-Hole that we made doing synthetic testing that will make your hair fall out like mine.......

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do not get me started on the synthetic ropes, I have some shots from Woods-Hole that we made doing synthetic testing that will make your hair fall out like mine.......
By all means please get started. A lot of us have read about synthetic winch rope and think we might understand the pros and cons, but if you have some actual testing experience that surely trumps the anecdotal comments I usually run across. There is some info on the site about synthetic, but if you havent mentioned the results of the tests before, I for one would like to hear about it and see the photos.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks