• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch cable length confirmation...

DanMartin

OK, I think most of us know that the stock winch cable length on the M-44 series trucks is 200'.

Is it true (or untrue) that up to 250' can be put on the spool if wound correctly?

jasonjc

BUT only if wound properly. The more cable on the drum the less the pulling power. the more cable the easier it is to get too much on one side and mess up the winch.

Barrman

Using the winch will really for sure be a two person job if you have that much cable. Pulling with any kind of a side load will cause it to bunch up and remove that nice aluminum cross brace on the bottom of the winch. However, cable left at home won't help you when you really need it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
50' lengths with ends swaged make nice cable extensions and can be stored out of the elements or transfered to another vehicle. With that said, I usually have my 6" strap with me as an extension.

BEASTMASTER

I got 230 ft. on the spool and carry 5 -30 foot eyed pieces in the bed for special occasions. not counting the 100 feet of 3/8 chain in the box. :driver:

DanMartin

BEASTMASTER said:
I got 230 ft. on the spool and carry 5 -30 foot eyed pieces in the bed for special occasions. not counting the 100 feet of 3/8 chain in the box. :driver:
Nearly 1/10th of a mile of winching...you just never know when that will come in handy. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks