• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

winch cable question.....

avengeusa

My winch cable broke......

I have a line, ha ha, on some new 9/16 cable, i had 1/2 inch on the truck which is what it comes with

I need to know if 9/16 will fit in the hole in the spool, and on the adaptor end of the cable.....

jimmcld

I just put a new end on a 3/4" cable and I don't believe I could have gotten it on a 13/16" one. Is it the correct cable otherwise? Is it steel core with the correct number of wires on it?

jatonka

I have done a lot of the clevis ends that join the 1/2" cable to the leader chain. 9/16" cable will not fit in the clevis properly. If you have never seen that joint separate under load, you can't understand why cabling and hardware are sized to match. Get new 1/2" cable, and don't misuse it. I pull barns and houses with 2 deuces and have never broken a cable. The little red school house cost me a shear pin........ but I was lazy and didn't 2 part the line so ther's no excuse. JT out

avengeusa

the truck i have came with a new cable on it.....

I was using the truck to steady a tree as we cut it down, i did not want the tree to fall the other way onto a church

snapped easily, I found where the cable came from, made in china, rated at 4000 lbs.....

I have some 9/16 cable available and can get a 9/16 clevis, i just was asking if it would fit the drum...

moral of the story..... be sure you know you have good cable before you trust it

Guys even the right cable used properly can brake. I had a three month old cable that I myself spooled onto the winch barrel snap the first time I used it to recover a hemmt. Before you say I over loaded the cable I had three turns in the cable. Witch is to say I had a single pulley and a double pulley more then I needed to do the job.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Buy new stuff. The proper line for the winch is "6x19" (that is six fat ones made up from 19 small ones). Its plow steel and has abraison resistance/rope core. Seems like 220' will fit on the Garwood, but that is crowded, 200' is better.

Lee in Alaska.

ida34

Guys even the right cable used properly can brake. I had a three month old cable that I myself spooled onto the winch barrel snap the first time I used it to recover a hemmt. Before you say I over loaded the cable I had three turns in the cable. Witch is to say I had a single pulley and a double pulley more then I needed to do the job.
If you stuck a hemtt then it was really stuck. We only got a hemtt stuck once when I was a Fort Campbell. We had our M198 155mm howitzer emplaced overnight. It rained all night and in the morning our M925 five-ton would not pull the 15,500 lbs howitzer out of the firing point. It dug down to the axles quick in the muddy soil. We had red clay at Campbell. The hemmt was bought in to unstick the gun truck. At one point the howitzer was disconnected from the truck but I can't remember whether that was before of after the hemtt was sunk to the axles too. In the end the engineers had to show up with a bulldozer. The bulldozer winch pulled out the hemtt. Now that I think of it I think the hemtt dropped a driveshaft during the battle before the bulldozer arrived. He then pulled the 5 ton out followed by the howitzer with the rear winch. If you got a hemtt pulled out with a deuce I must take my hat off to you.

This was while I was in the army. I ordered the cable myself. I will not put second hand junk on my truck, and yes you are correct. (The proper line for the winch is "6x19" (that is six fat ones made up from 19 small ones). Its plow steel and has abraison resistance/rope core.) The technical manual calls for 200 ft.

I had hard ground and a tree to anchor to, and when your using a winch to do recovery you let the winch do the work. I do remember the red clay in Campbell it's less forgiving the the mud in Korea

Last edited:

spicergear

So you had it running back and fourth over the snatch blocks to give the winch more power but what about that last line of cable going from that last turn to the HEMTT? That will be the one trying to drag out a stuck 60,000 lb machine. You could put 19 turns in the cable but there is still going to be that one length at the end.

avengeusa

Buy new stuff. The proper line for the winch is "6x19" (that is six fat ones made up from 19 small ones). Its plow steel and has abraison resistance/rope core. Seems like 220' will fit on the Garwood, but that is crowded, 200' is better.

Lee in Alaska.

this cable i am looking at is 1/16 larger in overall size, otherwise it is the same, it is new army cable, good stuff, the only question was if it would fit inside of the hole in the drum......

the first time the cable broke it broke right at the adaptor for the leader chain..... it did not pull out, it broke, the second time it broke in the middle of the rope, it was just weak rope made for 4000 lbs, the new stuff is military cable, new and made for a lot more weight than 4000 lbs

Keith_J

If you broke the wire rope, you did something wrong. Sounds like wire rope fatigue.

Remember, minimum bend radius must be followed for best life. You will shear the pin before exceeding the safe working load of the wire rope.

IIRC, you can get this wire rope in IPS or EIPS.

avengeusa

If you broke the wire rope, you did something wrong. Sounds like wire rope fatigue.

Remember, minimum bend radius must be followed for best life. You will shear the pin before exceeding the safe working load of the wire rope.

IIRC, you can get this wire rope in IPS or EIPS.
mine was a nice straight pull, when it broke i found out where the rope was purchased, it was clearly marked at the place of purchase to have a 4000 lb rating