• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch cable termination / chain lead

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I've seen posts sending folks to Esmet's site, but the link is dead. I was up at the barn today to try and get my MEP002 running. I knew Steve was having issues with his deuce's brakes, so I decided to stop by. After we took care of the brakes, I decided to put the chain lead back on the winch cable.(Last summer I pulled it off since it was installed incorrectly).

I believe Steve took some pics, hope he will post them since no-one has done so yet!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Thanks Simp.
One of the things I feel Steve's pics will illustrate is the last half of "step 3". The pic in figure 2 makes it look like you should un-wind all the wires, that is not how I was taught to do it.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Winch Cable Repair

Gimpy was over at the farm Saturday working on my Deuce brakes and when he was done he decided to fix the winch cable end. So we did and in the process determined why it pulled out the last time he used it.

Taking the ferrel off the chain end wasn't too bad but the cable end needed cleaned up and that's where you could see why it broke. Whoever put it on had left polypropylene center strand in place and shoved it in the hole. That most likely allowed the cable to compress enough to pull out around the center piece.

Here are the pics of reassembly.

And yes the center strand was removed after the picture.

cable1.jpgcable2.jpgcable3.jpgcable4.jpgcable5.jpgcable6.jpg

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know what it is called but it looks like a Spelter Socket has material poured into the clevis end after the cable is in a splayed out. When the material hardens (resin or molten metal) that is what keeps the cable in place.

Maybe this is a modified Spelter that is field replaceable without molten metal or resin.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks