• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch cable

peacemkr

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have a resource for the wire rope for the front winch? Most of what I’ve found is 100 feet long or the breaking limit is too low . Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I purchased 1/2" from a wrecker supply place down in Ft Laud. Wasn't concerned with being period correct, just wanted good stuff. I will see if I can find the name.

peacemkr

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I purchased 1/2" from a wrecker supply place down in Ft Laud. Wasn't concerned with being period correct, just wanted good stuff. I will see if I can find the name.

Kenny
Thanks for looking. I am looking for the 5/8" steel core cable. I think it will be a lot stronger for what I am needing it for. I know some day the top of the axles will see mud over them.
How did the transmission go?
Darin

peacemkr

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am looking at the following suppliers:

1.) Hooks Towing & Recovery Supplies
2.) ERIGGINGSUPPLY.COM

but have not done enough comparisons on pricing yet to determine the best place to purchase. Please keep us posted on your findings.

Thanks for the help. I swear I looked at Hooks and did not see the 200’ pieces.
Between 400 and 500 seem to be the price range depending on the hook you want. The only draw back is you don't get the chain permanently attached but if I have to I can live with it.
Thanks
Darin

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You want a wire rope and rigging supply co. Its "6x19 plow steel". They can cut you any length. They can swedge you a loop on the end. The tail chain is essential for keeping the end from being buggered up. McMasterCarr has it. So does Grainger. I bought some here once for a Deuce - we ran the end out the door and wound it on the drum, tell I said, "that ougth to do it". Then we pulled enought back off, to reach their swedge press, and they put the end on it. Use a schackle to attatch the chain. I think I put on a 220' piece,

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Darin, no luck on the tranny yet, the home A/C decided it wanted the money. The fitting on the end of the winch cable that takes the chain is made by Esmet. I believe it's the electroline line of products. If you search Esmet on Steel Soldiers, you will get some very informative information on it. I got my cable for my crane at Quality Industrial & Marine Rigging
They service about every wrecker service in the tri-county area. Buy it by the foot or by the spool. They can swage ends on it or even make straps for you. I'm sure they can fix you right up and you won't have to pay shipping on the heavy cable. Worth a try.

Last edited:

F18hornetM

Sorry about that, I thought they had larger as I swear I ordered 5/8" wrecker cable from them awhile back. Maybe it was 9/16". Shipping would eat you alive with 200' of it.
Does the 5 ton have to have 5/8" cable?? Is it for a bed winch or something? I have 1/2" on the front of my 5 ton.
I used 1/2" because we have a hundred aerial/digger trucks where I work and all have Braden 20K lb winches on the front, with 1/2"x200' of cable. Never saw one just broke with out being cut/pinched or something.

peacemkr

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Darin, no luck on the tranny yet, the home A/C decided it wanted the money. The fitting on the end of the winch cable that takes the chain is made by Esmet. I believe it's the electroline line of products. If you search Esmet on Steel Soldiers, you will get some very informative information on it. I got my cable for my crane at Quality Industrial & Marine Rigging
They service about every wrecker service in the tri-county area. Buy it by the foot or by the spool. They can swage ends on it or even make straps for you. I'm sure they can fix you right up and you won't have to pay shipping on the heavy cable. Worth a try.

Sorry to hear about the ac.
I will contact them and see what they say.
I am going today to look at a M35A2. The addiction has begun.:)

peacemkr

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry about that, I thought they had larger as I swear I ordered 5/8" wrecker cable from them awhile back. Maybe it was 9/16". Shipping would eat you alive with 200' of it.
Does the 5 ton have to have 5/8" cable?? Is it for a bed winch or something? I have 1/2" on the front of my 5 ton.
I used 1/2" because we have a hundred aerial/digger trucks where I work and all have Braden 20K lb winches on the front, with 1/2"x200' of cable. Never saw one just broke with out being cut/pinched or something.

I did a search (your welcome moderators)and found the stats for the 5 ton cable. to be 200" of 5/8" fiber core wire rope. I am looking for the steel core for better liife and crush resistance.
I'm sure 1/2" would be enough but I'm the "hold my beer and watch this" guy.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The steel core may not be compatible with the Esmet fitting . Another reported pro of the fiber core is that it holds cable lube better. Just info I've picked up over the years.

No worries on the A/C. After 14 years it owes me nothing.

peacemkr

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The steel core may not be compatible with the Esmet fitting . Another reported pro of the fiber core is that it holds cable lube better. Just info I've picked up over the years.

No worries on the A/C. After 14 years it owes me nothing.

I never thought of that. Makes sence, especially down here. Hmmmm.

peacemkr

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FIBER CORE CABLE W/SELF LOCKING SWIVEL HOOK (5/8" X 150')

$450.00

FIBER CORE CABLE W/SELF LOCKING SWIVEL HOOK (5/8" X 150')

Love the Swivel hook idea, no more cable twist. That is a given for me on the next cable.

I was reading on one of the many I've been on that the swivels can let the cable untwist especially on long pulls. They said to use only non swivel ends.
I'll look to see if I can find the article.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Swivel vs fixed winch hooks

Love the Swivel hook idea, no more cable twist. That is a given for me on the next cable.
Swiss - peacemkr is on the money. Swivel hooks should only be used on woven or cables that do not have a memory and multi fall crane hooks. A regular twisted winch cable will 'unwind' some when loaded, so in a long pull, the cable will unwind as it's being wound onto the drum while under tension. When the load is released the memory will want to rewind the cable back to it's neutral torque, which can then birds nest when free spooled back out.... big mess. Also the cable is trapped on the drum in a torqued state and not at rest.

A fixed hook will stop unwind, so that even when loaded on the drum in tension, when the load is released, the cable, having not unwound, will therefore not need to 'rewind'.

I hope you can follow my convoluted explanation!

We had the same situation with the Land Rover 1 tonne winch trucks. Designed and specified to have a swivel hook from the factory, but were all changed to fixed hooks when they arrived with the Army units. Lessons had been learnt many years earlier, but the higher ups thought they knew best!

NB.
There was a thread about a month or so ago re the length of the front winch cable.. I think Ron - 819 came up with the specs that the trucks that had the level wind and cable tensioner can go to 280'.

Last edited:

engineer233

Not sure if it would work on a 5 ton or not but my best friend uses a cable called a swedge type I think . He uses it on his dozer all the time to winch trees. It is a 3/4 cable smashed down to 5/8. I can check with him and see where he gets it.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did a search (your welcome moderators)and found the stats for the 5 ton cable. to be 200" of 5/8" fiber core wire rope. I am looking for the steel core for better liife and crush resistance.
I'm sure 1/2" would be enough but I'm the "hold my beer and watch this" guy.
I think you are on the right track with the steel core cable.

Fiber core cable is fine on cranes, which is what it is designed for, and also on a wrecker winch which has the level winder.

On a winch that is designed and used for self recovery without a level winder to keep it all pretty, lined up, and nice, steel core cable is the most durable. It will take a lot more of a beating and not break. That is what we use on the back of dozers and skidders for logging. Those winches just get the cable wound on any old which way all snarly and the cable is expected to take it.

Don't mess around with fiber core cable if you are really planning to use your winch.

peacemkr

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know that the winches came with fiber core but I think that was more for the ability to be used in every situation( level wind, pensioners and just winch). Also the technology back then verses now is like comparing apples to space shuttles.
My intention is to get the most usable, cost effective and most reliable for my money while keeping safety at the top of the list.
Recovery made a good point for the fiber core as a way to keep more lubricant on/in the cable.

Recovery- I am going to call the Quality Industrial & Marine Rigging place today and will post results later.
Engineer233- I’d like to know more about the cable you described. Please keep us informed.
Thank everyone for the information and all will be considered.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks