• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch compatibility/retrofit

JxxxOxxxE

I've searched but didn't find what I was looking for...

ive got a 1968 multi m817 with winch. I'm waiting for delivery of a m929a2 without winch. Will the winch, frame extensions, and bumper from the 817 bolt straight to the 929? Are the frame rails the same width? Holes already drilled?

If so, are all the front 20k winches the same from the 1960's to now? Now just hydraulic rather than PTO?

i know I'd have to get a hydraulic motor to make it usable, with some lines and valves of course...I figure I can just use the pump that operates the dump bed to run the winch motor...

before I get too far ahead of myself, I just need to know if it will all mount up...

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Holes WILL NOT line up, another member went through this same problem a few years ago. winch is the same, the frame extensions are different.

JxxxOxxxE

Holes WILL NOT line up, another member went through this same problem a few years ago. winch is the same, the frame extensions are different.
Hmm...wish I could find the thread...Now when you say the frame extensions are different, are they actually a different shape and size, or are just the bolt holes different. I guess it may not be hard to find a set of 939 series extensions...

I saw some thread where someone attached a coupler and hydraulic motor to the PTO winch, but never saw if they were using military hydraulic motor, or if they just got a SAE style mounted motor and coupled them together...

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
This member was trying to mount a winch on a 809 truck, he was sold a set of 939 extenstions and told they would work, they would NOT work, he had to find a set of 809 extensions.

JxxxOxxxE

This member was trying to mount a winch on a 809 truck, he was sold a set of 939 extenstions and told they would work, they would NOT work, he had to find a set of 809 extensions.

Thanks for the info...I guess I'll start looking for some extensions...

I've looked for some info on the m930 (dump with winch), but havent been able to find much...Any idea how the hydraulic system is on it? Surely they would use the pump that powers the dump for the winch too right?

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
No two seperate systems, the -10 will have the operating of each system

JxxxOxxxE

No two seperate systems, the -10 will have the operating of each system

in -10, on page 1-74 it shows the winch system and 1-76 shows the dump system....

I didnt see any mention of how the m930 is setup...I guess it probably uses 2 4 port valves? one for each system?
I cant imagine it having 2 pumps off the PTO though?

I wonder if this may be more hassle than its worth...I checked a few surplus sites and didnt see many winch system components listed

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks