• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

winch differences and preferences

SuperJoe

while cruising through GL i noticed in bold red letters that some winch trucks are "hydraulic, not engine driven" stated as just that. i understand the basics of the differences but is one preferred over another? i have a pto that comes from the engine through a small drive shaft straight to the lower rear of mine so i assume its not the hydraulic style.

what are the specific differences between the two and what is preferred?

spicergear

Mechanical is driven via a driveshaft from the PTO to the winch. Hydraulic is a pump mounted somewhere, usually PTO driven, to a control valve, then you have high pressure hoses running up to the oil motor then is coupled to the winch. Hydraulic is nice because you can mount the thing upside-down on you roof if you wanted and just run the lines to it and you're ready to pull.

Mechanical is driveshaft...and sometimes you have to get a little creative with the driveline for that with pillow blocks and/or chain and sprockets. Mechanical can give you an advantage that you can rev the engine and bump it with the clutch to get a little more oomph out of it...but that's risky as it overstresses ALL parts of the driveline- ...but can get you out in a pinch.

Hydraulic is super convenient, generally easier to use (move handle one way or the other for in and out not fiddle with clutch and shifting pto...) and can be set with a pressure relief so that you don't hurt anything.

Preference is up to the user. I prefer mechanical so I can 'feel' it a little more but I have used and built both.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
plus pressure relief valves instead of shear pins is a huge plus. no brainer operation then. hook on to whatever and if you cant pull it, get your snatch block out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks