• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

winch drum brake

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, there is a brake pad on one side(passenger) of the spool that should help with freespool. There is a exploded view of the winch posted in the photo album,titled(winch part numbers) that clearly shows it. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index....&fid=154&viewkey=&template=slideshow&iid=1162 The brake pad assembly is part # 38 in the picture. If you want an actual photo, Mangus580 has his in his glovebox. Maybe he could post a few pics of it.
edit; The band brake mentioned below(by m38) is for holding the load on the winch.

m38inmaine

I believe the brake band on the pto side only works when the clutch is in, when the clutch is out the drum is disconnected from the drive side of the winch allowing it to free spool. In order to "control" the payout of the cable you would have to reverse it out under power or have someone put some drag on the drum with their gloved hand.

Edit: Sorry, had the wrong brake, its the drag brake shoe you need to adjust, I'll post the page from the TM.

mangus580

The pad doghead refers to is about 1" x 2.5". Mine was totally missing the pad material. It uses a real heavy spring, and pushed it against the end of the drum.... sure sux not having a functional one doesnt it!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a big flat head screw on the passenger side of the winch to adjust said drag brake.

rizzo

I bought a little right angle screw driver and tried to turn it last night. didn't budge. that is when I got to thinking I was wrong. maybe it is just stuck. any ideas on how to turn it without taking winch out?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used a quarter and a cresent wrench. If it bends the quarter try a washer,also I would back it all the way out and put some compound on the threads to keep it free.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks