• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch Fragged

abh3

Bad winch experience today, got the dump stuck and was single handed, dozer wouldn't pull it out alone sooooo I hooked the winch up to the dozer... It pulled the dozer (Komatsu D31P, not a big one) down the hill and then, just as it began to move, BANG!!!

Took a look, :shock: , $#%^%&@@#, but what is done is done... Yup, a bolt for a shear-pin, I didn't install it but knew it was there, just too lazy to buy the $$ right part. Doesn't seem so expensive now!!! :oops:

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Armada said:
Ouch aua

Want to sell the chain and hook that's on the cable?
If you do part it out, I may need the brass/bronze gear. if it's still good

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ooof!! Good thing you have a petrified parts truck with a good winch. Thanks for owning up to not replacing the shear pin. It makes another good example of what a bolt can do to a overloaded winch.

DanMartin

Great pic Abh3. Sorry to hear about your winch issues...that one will cost you a bit. And like Chris said, that's for manning-up and taking responsibility.

Some good will come from this I hope...like a good demonstration of what happens when you don't use a shearpin.

Anyone got a winch they can cut abh3 a break on?

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello,

Well if the gears are still good, I think I can help.... I have a winch that was robbed of its gears sitting in my parts stash...... The only problem is how to get it to Florida from Central NJ ...........

Ziggy

abh3

Yeah, I shoulda seen this one coming as this winch does (did?) get really used pulling this and that out of whatever it shouldn't have gone back into for the infamous 'one more pass, just to smooth it out...' AND I've read here about the danger of using a bolt for a shearpin.

Armada and Doghead, I'm going to hang onto the cable as I have another Duece w/winch and the big gear is history, sorry.

Rizzo, as hard as it is to admit, I have several snatch blocks that tend to live in the shop, close to the lowboy, duh, they're never there when you need them like that... And I didn't have my camera either so no pics, maybe next time! :?

Mudlord, AMEN BROTHER, the radiator survived unscathed.

Speaking of winch accidents, I've seen some wild stuff when hydraulic dozer winch cables break, DUCK! And I've seen a D-4 drug backward (quite briskly!) by a falling fire tower it's winch cable was hooked to about 2/3 the way up. (No morons were injured in the making of that disaster.) But this is the first winch itself I've seen go like this. I think I'm going to fab up a 5 ton winch on the truck, hydraulics, etc. but this is the wrong forum for all that.

Thanks for your input all!

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
You should carefully inspect the transmission housing near the PTO on this truck. They are bad about cracking when overloaded like this.

Dunno aboout the five-ton winch - it seems here the winch itself had plenty o'power, just needed that snatch block (and a shear pin).

DD

rockman

Check with Sam Winers in Akron Ohio, Rob is the MV contact and they had lots of winches, parts etc and are prety reasonable.

Bill (had a bolt one but pinned now...) :)

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, a bolt for a shear-pin, I didn't install it but knew it was there, just too lazy to buy the $$ right part.
Do you know what grade bolt was in there for a shear pin? I broke my alm. shear pin yesterday and now im doing all the research to find out what to put back in. i have a grade 2 bolt in it now just so i could winch the cable back in and head home.

hemichallenger

I used a stainless bolt and about 1100 rpm with the truck chained to a tree i broke a good cable. At an idle it would stall the truck even with a real shear pin. Much above an idle it would brake the shear pin so in went the bolt and off went the cable.

scopionf89

If you need shear pins just search them on ebay I always see them. Just search m35a2 then go threw all the items I usly see them listed for $35 for like 5 or 10 of them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks