• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch Help! Need Ideas on how to remove clutch sliding keys from winch

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Winch Need Ideas on how to remove clutch sliding keys from winch

TM 9-2320-209-34-2-3, Chapter 18, page 18-6, Frame 5, step 2. See attached page.

I cannot get the sliding clutch keys out that are shown in the attachment.

ANY TRICKS?, SUGGESTIONS, HOW TO'S, OR SPECIAL TOOLS?

I tried vice grips, punches, chisels, hammer and so on. Used a lot of liquid wrench and they still do not budge.

If I ever get them out...does anyone know where I can get replacements?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited:

Katahdin

Just went through that a couple months ago. Drill a hole in the key, thread the hole with a tap and T wrench, screw in a long bolt with a washer, bang on the bolt head and washer with a hammer and punch.

Oh yeah, you can buy the new key stock at Napa. Cut and grind it to fit.

Last edited:

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just went through that a couple months ago. Drill a hole in the key, thread the hole with a tap and T wrench, screw in a long bolt with a washer, bang on the bolt head and washer with a hammer and punch.

Oh yeah, you can buy the new key stock at Napa. Cut and grind it to fit.

GREAT! Will try that tomorrow and let you know.

Thanks alot!
Gordon Felice

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More times than not, the keys will be stuck so bad you'll destroy them getting them out. I've always been able to remove them with a hammer and chisel.

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No luck with this winch!

I tried the vice grips with the hammer and driver on the tip of the vice grips,

I tried drilling a hole in the key and threading it (1/4 by 20) so I could put a bolt in the hole and use a slide hammer to try and dislodge the key.

I tried a large variety of punches and chisels also.

I have a completely chewed up key that has still not budged.

I am pretty good mechanically and have never been unable to get a key out of a shaft with one method or another. I was thinking of heat but do not want to damage the drum shaft.

Thank you all for your help. If there is anything you can think of (short of TNT) that might work please let me know.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, then plan "B": contraction - after been heated real hot...

I don't think it would affect the shaft if you heat the key (or what's left from it) to light red and then let it cool down. Not the full lenght; just one inch at the time! And of course, heating had to happen with your biggest oxy-acet welding (or cutting) torch, as quickly as possible!
Eventually repeat process.
It WILL budge!

G.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Weld a tab to it, then pry it out while its hot(soft).

Or, drill it until it dissapears.

xtsix

ive always had good luck using a pair of wire cutters to grab one side and pry up on the key with them. half moon keys can be a real pain. good luck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks