• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch help

7mmTCU

Being the proud new owner of a winch for my Deuce I set about to go thru it before mounting on the truck.
Need advice...
Should the end frame (#12 in TM 9-2320-361-34) just slide off once the channels and rod nut are removed?
The TM leads me to believe this but mine is not cooperating. It is loose and slides back and forth a bit but does not want to come off, even with a little gentle help from a pry bar and mallet.
I thought I would ask those that have torn these down before just in case there is some trick to getting it to seperate. I couldn't find this exact issue addressed in the archive searches.
Thanks
Dean

broman78

hit it with a BFH. I'm not sure what part you are talking. if you give me a page number I can tell you. I just assembled a winch and have to make an w/w into wo/w truck.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not many readers are going to go look for the pages you reference.

For best results, copy the page and post it in the thread. If you circle the item number, thats even better.

Just a thought...

7mmTCU

Basically the TM describes removing the channels and the lock nut from the bottom rod in step #3 below. (copied and pasted from the TM)

1. Remove four screws (4), lockwashers (5), and channel (3) from gearcase (7) and end frame (12).
Discard lockwashers (5).
2. Remove six screws (2), lockwashers (1), and channel (6) from gearcase (7) and end frame (12).
Discard lockwashers (1).
3. Remove locknut (13) and end frame (12) from rod (9) and drum shaft (10). Discard locknut (13).
4. Remove plug (11) from end frame (12).​
5. Remove plug (8) from gearcase (7).

This is how I arrived at the conclution that the end frame #12 must just slip off. Mine seems reluctant to do so. But since I had seen references here to errors in the TM's I thought I would ask.

Thanks
Dean

combat32

To answer your question, yes it should.Might need a gentle(or more) nudge from the BFH.Put a block of wood under the driven side, pick it up and drop it, about a foot or so, be careful as it is heavy.Probably got some rust in there, mine was full of water, both sides.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you shift the lever? If you can't there's a good chance that the shifting collar has rusted to the shaft. If that is the case you can try and shift the lever as you pull on the cover. Once the shifting fork gets out so far you can slip it off of the shifting collar and the cover will come off. After that you can get at the shifting collar to free it up.

Because you said it will move a little leads me to believe that it's the collar that's stuck but I could be wrong.

I've got a seal kit listed in the classifieds if you need one. M35A2 winch seal kit - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite