• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

winch hook and chain question

Dodge man

From TM9-2320-212-34P:

Name, FSN, Ref #, Man Cage Code

Hook, Hoist, sling, direct eye 4030-161-0354 506958 19207
Link, chain, connecting, oval shape 4010-286-5696 rpc 271 E1348
Link End: cable chain 4010-337-8278 7717007 19207

19207 is USA Tank Command so that means those are custom made parts but you might compare it to a Deuce (or other MV) part. A lot of the Parts Lists TMs have all the parts referenced in that TM alphabetized in the back of the manual so you can look up the part number quickly and it will tell if it's used and in what figure and item number.

I'll let you research the other numbers but here's a tip, since the US is now using NSNs (NATO Stock Number) instead of FSN (Federal Stock Number), try adding a 00 or 01 between the first two sets of numbers. For example, use 4030-00-161-0354 instead of 4030-161-0354. I did find results for that NSN but not that FSN. They should be the exact same item. 00 and 01 are codes for US produced items. You can use other codes for other countries and as long as the other numbers match they should all be equivalent items.

Last edited:

Cav Trooper

I have the manuals with the pn's. I was trying to fab up the chain and hook assembly instead of buying for $130 from Vintage. No one else seems to have any and I have connections with a couple of companies that build material handling slings, chains etc. and thought it would be less expensive to build one up.

Thanks for your help.

m376x6

I have a winch set up sitting in the shop with original cable, end bell, triangular rounded corner connection for the end bell pin and chain and the hook on the end of the chain. I'll get some measurements when I can. I'm starting my four day rotation with 12 hour shifts early in the morning and won't get back in the shop until Monday.

Cav Trooper

That's great. I am heading on vacation tomorrow and won't be back until a week from Monday so, thank you and take your time. Any help is very much appreciated.

oldMan99

Subscribed.

Once you figure out the equalevlent civilian sizes for the components please post them. I wold like to build one myself.

If you build one don't just use generic chain and connectors that is not rated for winching, be sure you ask the people at the sling manufacturing plant what grade of chain, connectors, and hook to use for a winching application. Then you can get a certification tag installed on it while they build it for you.

Post the recommended grades as well..!! :)