• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch Install Tutorial

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I embarked on a mission to do a winch install tutorial. After the first pic and first 5 minutes of work, I knew it was going to be brutal. Temps in the mid 90s, high humidity and no shelter from the blazing sun. Needless to say there are only 2 pics but the winch is on. I didn't install the PTO as I have a dual output one at Ferro's that I'm going to use.

Attachments

Mitymac

I want to put one of my winches from an ugly to my shop truck.. if GL ever gets my paid in full.
How many hrs was it? Do you have to heat the nuts?
I wish I had your heat so I could bale hay!!!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took me about 4 hours to do the install. No heat or torch was used but I did use airtools. Coulda done it a little quicker but the heat slows me down a bunch. In the course of the install I did consume a gallon of Gatorade. Sorry Frodo, survival mode kicked in. If I had stretched this out a few more hours for pics, I may have croaked. I just can't take the sun and heat anymore. If you want to learn first hand, bring a truck and the winch kit to the GA rally, I'll do a demo install for all that want to watch.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want to learn first hand, bring a truck and the winch kit to the GA rally, I'll do a demo install for all that want to watch.
So you're saying if I drag a deuce varient over there and a spare winch you'll install it? What other demo's do you want to do? I need alot of stuff done.:mrgreen:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've just rebuilt my winch and now I need to install mine also. It's hot and humid here also but atleast I've got a shop (shade) and a good fan.

Now, you need to repaint you bumper numbers right-side-up. :wink:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If enough people wanted to see a winch install, I'd do it at the rally. My comment was directed at Frodo so he gets first dibs. Just don't forget the new hardware. Chevytruck, that TM covers work on the winch but not the install. There are parts of this covered in the -20 PM but no real TM on adding a winch to a non winch truck. This is like legos.

Ty, I'm going to work on that bumper real soon, real soon after the summer ends! LOL I need to do boots and seals next!

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
So if I bring a winch and stuff do I get second dibs?

Actually I have to do one within the next week so I can take it to winslows for painting and what naught. Think I'll have to leave the PTO install to them since I don;t have a gasket nor time to get one here. Working everyday between now and departure date so I guess I'll do the install in my sleep or something like that.

AceHigh

The PTO install is very easy. Just have enough thin and thick gaskets available.

Sooo, the winch install tutorial is really just 3 basic steps:

1. Get a winch.

2. Do a lot of stuff.

3. Enjoy your new winch. :beer:

I kind of like it! :D

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Nice looking top on your truck, Kenny. :grin:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice looking top on your truck, Kenny. :grin:
Funny you mention that. I have one heck of a time getting that thing down the tore up windshield channel on my truck. Because of that I am not shopping for an outer windshield frame. I have enough good inners.

Last edited:

kipman

Just did a winch swap, used all the some bolts, wife says the stink will not come out of the pants or shirt, NAPA has pto gaskets for 2.00 each, great deal.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've done the winch install many times. I frequently re-use the bolts as well. When I did this one I replaced most of the 1/2 bolts with GR8 N/C versions. A few years back I bought a large bag of them from Blythewoodjoe and they sure came in handy this time. Had to buy GR8 nuts but only needed 25 of them. Spent $12.I was missing one of the long (expensive) bolts as well. Luckily, I have most everything for another winch kit including front frame cuts with the extensions. I was able to pillage what I needed there. It's always nice having another winch truck in the yard to look at. Hmm, my wallet is pushing me to sell this other winch kit, my addiction is saying keep it and buy an M109A3 or M185A3.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny, I have a winch, frame extensions,dual output pto,
shaft and lever linkage all for my M54A2. ie the one in my avitar.
You mention nuts and bolts. Do you remember size and types, etc. and can you think of anything that I might need? I'll go to napa with the pto and hopefully they will have the gaskets.
I'd ask you to come here and help me, but I am afraid the West coast is a bit far.

PS: did M108 ever send you the cnc drawings for the hose adapters he made?
Bruce