• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch installation?

dallasfromdallas

I'm picking up a winch for the new Deuce tomorrow. Anybody know of a thread or manual detailing winch installation? I'm a total noob, so details are key for me. Thanks.

Crackerjax

its not too bad just inda heavy and a pain in the back.... youll need an engine hoist and some heavy duty tools for the frame work and you might have to "spread" the frame just a hair to make it easyer to slide in but it can be done... good luck. I think the hardest part is the linkage and the pto output gear mesh...

avengeusa

it is very simple to do, almost self explainatory, if you want i can take detailed pics of mine so you can "match it all up"

let me know.....

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Tips like BFR provided are great.

My suggestion in addition to that is to read this post:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/safety/32694-god-sake-read-tm.html

Then you should go find the -20 manual and follow the directions step by step. Please also check out the -10 for the operator instruction for the winch. The -10 also gives you the reference to the -20 so that's why I mention it here since it appears the -10 was not consulted prior to posting this question.

ida34

Here is my thread.

First pull the front bumper to include taking off the front shackle mounts.

2. Take off the front nut on the little hand holds on the frame.

3. Remove the bottom portion of the grill. Actually two pieces.

4. I took out the whole grill for clearance.

5.install the frame extensions. you must also shim the rear of the grill mount.

6. attach the winch mounts to winch using the proper shoulder bolts.

7. put the driveshaft in from the front end of the radiator opening

8. set the winch assembly in place on the frame extensions.

9. put the bumper on upside down from it's former position.

10 put the bumper reinforcement plates in place. If you do not have the special winch plates with the built in spacers then you will need to place some spacers below the shackle mounts. put in the bolts for the bumper and the winch mounts to the frame extensions. Leave everything a little loose until all bolts are in place.

11. put the grill back in. tighten all the bolts and nuts.

11a. Drain the transmission

12. put the PTO in with the proper studs. Check backlash per TM. fill transmission and check for leaks.

13. Attach driveshaft to PTO. Make sure PTO is in Neutral.

14 punch out hole in floor for selector lever.

15. put lever mount on master cylinder.

16 attach lever to mount.

17 put in linkage between PTO and selector lever.

18. Put in neutral lever lock on floor by supplied holes.

19. put in pto selector data plate on trans tunnel

20. grease the driveshaft and check level in both sides of winch

21. make sure the winch clutch is disengaged with the lever lock in place.

22. make sure the pto is in neutral with the lock engaged before starting for the first time.

23. Check operation and if the winch is not spooled correctly then respool it.

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Chuck,

Forgot the turn off engine, set parking brake, chock wheels and then the reverse of that at the end. But after that will be the next action, try out new winch without reading how to operate it, stand at front bumper using take up handle, have chain slip off and come back and hit body, say shi...., call ambulance, go to hospital, get fixed, pay bill. go home, kick truck, hurt foot, say shi..., call ambulance, go to hospital, get fixed again, pay another bill come home, sell truck, take loss.

My concern is folks must read the TM. We did and they should. They need to know whwere to go and how to find things and other than providing the manual, we can't hold their hand on this. The manuals are there for a reason and there is a reason you have to be able to read and comprehend on a 6th grade level to join the military since that is the level the manuals are written at.

I've been biting my tongue for the last few months on this and after my conversation at the event this weekend and with others over the phone, I'm cutting loose cause there's many others here that feel the same way. Folks have got to read the TM's and especially the -10. That's why we put them in the resources section. The -20 is there so they can learn how to do certain repairs. If they read it and still don't understand, ok we can work with that. If they're on the road and break down and don't have the manual, we can work with that. But what set me off was the post requesting step by step instructions to change a deuce radiator. Come on!! Now another for step by step for a winch. The step by steps are written in the manual and asking these questions show folks are not only failing to consult the -20 or -34 but more importantly the manual that would have referenced these...the operators manual, (the -10). Failing to read that manual is dangerous not only to the individual operating the equipment but to the folks around him and to us because it could potentially affect this hobby.

Maybe I'm getting too old. Maybe I've been on this site too long. Maybe I lost too much sleep time doing VIN checks yesterday. I say that and although this poster maybe cusing me and wondering why he's catching my wrath, it's all because my thread (hot linked above) about reading the TM went unheeded. If my end result is he obtains and reads the TM, I have succeeded and could care less what is thought of me. If he dumps this website...well, I doubt that cause very, very, very few actually leave this site and stay away permanently It's like home, folks will always for some reason return. Intent is not to embarras him but to get everyone (newb and old alike) to download those manuals from the resources section and read them while sitting on the toilet or going to bed at night.

I learned my lesson. Was it ACE Tomato that use to preach this same issue to us old timers? Hate to unleash my diatribe at 530 in the morning but this has been building for the past few months. Us old timers have got to get these folks to read the TM!!! It's the right thing to do.

Would anyone like some prep H after that one?

bigelk50

I agree Carnac!! It would be a good refresher for all to do so from time to time. Scary when people do not even know where the air wiper control knob is.

ida34

True on the reading the TM but the TM does not give instructions on adding a winch to a non-winch truck. If he had asked a question about winch operation I would have hammered him on reading the TM but like I said, the -34 and -20 do not have a section on installing a winch.

dallasfromdallas

True on the reading the TM but the TM does not give instructions on adding a winch to a non-winch truck. If he had asked a question about winch operation I would have hammered him on reading the TM but like I said, the -34 and -20 do not have a section on installing a winch.
This. Carnac, I'm not sure if the diatribe was aimed solely at me or not. If so, okay, no big deal. I'm here for information so that I might further enjoy the hobby. That said, I have gone through the -10, -20, and -34 and found nothing about winch installation on a non-winch truck. This is why I requested "a thread or manual detailing winch installation." I have no issues with reading the TMs for particular topics. I just need to know if they exist and where to find them. :) That said, if anyone knows of a TM that entails/describes this process, please let me know. Thanks again.

ida34

The only way to get the winch install out of the TM is to print off the individual component R and R sections and that is quite a bit of looking and printing. It is there but is hard to find as each component is treated differently and there is not one sections on putting the winch on a non- winch truck. This is not like adding a heater kit to a deuce. The military did have an upgrade kit for heaters but not for winches. The heater kit had instructions and the instructions were in the special kits section in the TM but the trucks were either W/W or WO/W from the factory. The humvees even had different M numbers for a truck varient as opposed to a soft side four door even though it was basically a real easy deal to make on into another. The military would not change an item that would yield another different end item. I think this is the reason it is not covered at in the TM in one section. Even if it was it would still revert you back to other sections to get the other stuff ready for the final installation. I do agree that the process of finding all the needed sections would give a man a real good education on TM's and how they work.

Dallas,
The diatribe was not aimed at you but was more of a shotgun effect. You will see there are a few topics that get really old. One is the "do I need a CDL". Some of this could be solved by a good search. You also get the read the tm because some people don't. There are several topics about how the winch works that did not need to be posted if the -10 was read. Even the winch install could have been seen through some other posts. I just did mine and posted it a few weeks ago. Some of us that have been on the forum a while do get a little uptight with repetitive postings. One of my pet peeves is not descript post titles such as "what is this", or "I have a question". I like to see descriptive post titles as the increase in daily new posts as of late has made it almost impossible to read every post. I used to but now I need to be more choosy on what I read because of time constraints. If I was to pick on your post I would have put "Need pics of winch install" or "Need winch install instructions for WO/W truck". Yours is not bad but could be better.

My point is we all have some pet peeves that we harp on but if you stick around you will find your way around the site and will gain a lot of knowledge along the way. Carnac was not personally attacking you.

DanMartin

I've already gone through this upgrade with a few people...

If you need tips, you can search my posts...or PM me. I'm happy to help if needed.

It's a pretty straightforward thing if you have all the parts.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Actually here's the info

TM 9-2320-361-24-2

Sections 0345 to section 0349.

No it's nothing personal, I just don't like people from Ardmore, OK named Dallas (LOL). My effort is to get folks to lesen (read). Actually the one that got me torqued was the radiator replacement from the other day. I mean, come on, the instructions are right there in the manual. There are others that have added to this episode with me.

That does it... I leaving the website.

Just kidding.

ida34

I myself really hate posting info that I have to search to find or find stuff in the TMs for other people because they are lazy or lack the knowledge to find the stuff. I have found myself spending too much time doing it but I like helping people out with stuff. I do think it is better for us to help groom the newer people to the point that they can find the stuff in the TM. I agree with the message but on this particular topic I think it was in the more advance category of search and find with TMs. The new manual that you link to above is much more user friendly but I rarely use the new manual. I may use them more in the future. That also brings up the confusing amount of TM's related to the M44 series.

That's it. I am leaving too.

dallasfromdallas

Thanks, all for being patient with me. I'm not too butt-hurt over it. :-D Also, thanks for the links and offers of info. MikeW kinda walked me through the process today when I picked up the winch. Doesn't seem as bad as I was anticipating. Now watch it take me 5 years and 8000 info-request posts to get it done. :roll: Thanks again.

dallasfromdallas

Check on that one. MikeW mentioned that earlier today, as well as someone else earlier in the thread. Plywood is much cheaper than a new radiator. Thanks for the tip.

dburt

The Great Carnac is spot on folks, knowledge is power! If you don't know where to find the knowledge in the TM, then you have no power. As in: no power or ability to get things done, or done right. Once you know where the info is and go get that info- you have the ability and power to get it done and done right. So we just have to groom the new folks to get in the habit of checking the TMs and the old threads and posts. If they still have troubles finding out what they need, then we geezers can try and lend a hand. I used to teach high school, and nothing got me riled up as much as a student asking for the answer because they were too lazy or unmotivated to look it up themselves. But in all fairness to the newbees, I too have been guilty of being lazy or in too big of a hurry to check out the TM or old threads first.