• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

winch installs

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can't find any let us know we can see if we can get some more and if you come to rally you can pick up or one of the Ohio guys can bring back for you.

waterguy

I am about to install a Warn 18K winch on my A3. Can I purchase the frame extension for the bumper, or do I need to fabricate it my self?

Thanks, yours looks great!

M-1028

Just a heads up these winches do not have thermal protection. I burnt the motor up on mine trying to pull a 20K tractor out of the mud. Used 2 snatch blocks too, it was dragging my truck and an excavator that was chained to my truck. The winch is a beast, under rated to say the least.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a heads up these winches do not have thermal protection. I burnt the motor up on mine trying to pull a 20K tractor out of the mud. Used 2 snatch blocks too, it was dragging my truck and an excavator that was chained to my truck. The winch is a beast, under rated to say the least.
So what does the donut transformer around the positive cable do if not an overload? According to the Warn website it is an Overload Interrupt module.

Last edited:

M-1028

So what does the donut transformer around the positive cable do if not an overload? According to the Warn website it is an Overload Interrupt module.
You got a picture? I've got 2 of these winches at my shop, both had about 12" of battery cable still attached and don't recall any donuts, lol. It's possible they where tampered with but they came directly off of MRAP's.

Smike740

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine was a takeoff as well and has the doughnut shaped overload interrupt module around the positive cable. From warns website it appears the overload interrupt was standard on the military version of the series 18 winch and an option on the industrial version.

M-1028

Mine was a takeoff as well and has the doughnut shaped overload interrupt module around the positive cable. From warns website it appears the overload interrupt was standard on the military version of the series 18 winch and an option on the industrial version.
Strange, is it on the actual battery cable? Or does the cable bolt to it?

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Then you need to be extra careful not to burn your winch down or overload it to the breaking point.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This thread is inspirational. I still want to install a warn 18k on the rear of my deuce. I just haven't found one for the right price, and I'm even open to 12v since I have a dual voltage system.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This thread is inspirational. I still want to install a warn 18k on the rear of my deuce. I just haven't found one for the right price, and I'm even open to 12v since I have a dual voltage system.
PM me and maybe I can get you one for the right price. I'll deliver it to the Rally.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finished the install on my second truck. I hereby proclaim my 5 tons M924's since they're in between a 923 and 925.

IMG_20140813_152905_891.jpgIMG_20140813_152932_526.jpgIMG_20140813_153009_549.jpg

Last edited:

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are looking good. I have to Finnish my rear winch then it's hardheads turn to get his all done.
Front and rear

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks