• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

winch issues on deuce

Colonel_Weierman

Hello all, I have a winch question. I am having a hard time engaing the lever on the winch itself. If I engae the lever in the cab and then shut the negine down I then pull out lock so that the spool will free wheel and the play out the line. I can then engage lever on winch.I start my engine and then the winch works great. Is this normal operation or is their a step I am missing.

scooter01922

Have we read the FREE TM here yet???? If not then thats what i would do before asking how to work what is the most dangerous device on the truck. Sorry to be harsh but it really pays to read the directions before messing with stuff.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With what Scooter said, the dog clutch only engages in a few places. Unlock the drum lock and spin the drum a bit to engage the dog clutch. Read TM 9-2320-361-10 at once.

Colonel_Weierman

Have we read the FREE TM here yet???? If not then thats what i would do before asking how to work what is the most dangerous device on the truck. Sorry to be harsh but it really pays to read the directions before messing with stuff.
Oh excuse me GOD of M-35. I did not know there even was a a tm section on here. You have no right to be harsh. If you are going to be critical then don't reply. Do you have a winch ??????:evil:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Easy now! no need to get riled up. This sort of thing happens all the time here.:wink:

Help is available!:-D

scooter01922

I'll try to be more friendly, OK?? We see the same thing come through here so often that sometimes it just gets annoying. Not that you would know as you are new here. As carnac said this is the second winch ops thread today alone. TM's are located in the resources section at the top of the page.

tm america

noone is trying to be harsh just noon wants to see a member get hurt or killed cuz they were doing something the wrong way.winches can be a great tool if used correctly or they can kill you really fast if used incorrectly.so dont take it the wrong way .read the tms then read the ones on winching there is alot to doing it the right way and it will save you alot of pain and broken parts to do a little research.to engage the winch you should turn the truck of pull the winch drum lock off then rotate the drum till the engaging lever will engage .then go in the truck engage the pto and control it with the clutch .but you have to make sure you are using snatch blocks if needed and that is just to start .winching with one of these trucks is pretty much a two man opperation. you really need someone to make sure the cable is winding on the drum correctly or it can wind on one side and take out the radiator and break the winch housing .there is no way to stop the winch from the outside if it's under a load so if you were to get caught on the cable the way you were doing it.you would be sucked into the winch ripping your hand or arm off or maybe even killing you .so please be carefull:roll:

panzerjunky

Winch question

Yup, we did indeed :roll: so much for searching before posting.
Not to start a Pissing contest with you guys who are a lot more knowlegable on the subject of MV'S Than I or as it seams Colonel_weierman I was the guy the other day who had the winch question and when I started the post a few hits came up checked every one of them not one answered my question. And like Mr Weierman got hammered ( Not to bad) with the TM deal and the don't touch it till you know it ( this I agree with ) Thats why I asked before I touched.
But .......In Mr Weirmans defense there are a lot of tms and most of us have absolutly No idea which one to go to Recovery 4X4 was the only guy who actualy gave a TM Number something for us mere mortals to go to. in my winch question post someone said read the 10 manual OK........what is that????? when I looked at the TM list all I seen was a listing for winch 5 ton is that the same as a Deuce ?????. I post on Gun boards quite a bit something I actualy know something about and we deal with the same thing someting as easy to me as field stripping an M-60 might be baffleing to a guy who has never done it before. So I guess what Us noobs are asking is be a tad more patient as you know a lot of M35's are comming up for sale and there will be a lot more questions.

Is it possible to index TM's in a searchable data base so when a question about a TM comes up a simple search will put you on the right page in the right TM.
Just a thought.

Thanks Jerry

rdixiemiller

The winch mounted lever is strictly to freespool the winch and pay out cable, with the PTO disengaged. The operator runs the winch from the cab, using the clutch to apply or remove power, and the PTO lever for forward and reverse. Yes, I have a winch, and have used them for years. Winches can be extremely dangerous, please read the TM. You can easily mangle yourself, or get killed using one. I snapped a civvy wrecker cable once, the only thing that saved me was the 4 old tires we had tied off to the cable at 50' intervals just in case that happened. (We were recovering a stuck electric co op truck, and we were pulling hard). The tires arrested the cable, keeping it from whipping back more than 50'.
Please don't take offense when someone points out a safety issue, we are not being b***holes about it. We need all our members alive and in good condition. I have been chided in the past, and have pointed out safety issues to others.
"Get home alive" is my motto.

tjcouch

A better indexing of the TMs would be awesome . . . I have no idea how to do that . . . but Panzerjunky makes a great point.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks