• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch Leak M939A2 M925A2

PapaPumpSD

I appear to have a slow drip leak on my Garwood 20,000 lb. winch. Per other threads/posts it seems as though many (most?) winches have a slow leak and it's often not worth repairing.
I've also read that some of you are adding John Deere Corn Head grease due to its high viscosity resulting in reduced leaking/dripping. Where do you add that grease to?

I've posted some photos of my winch and the drip spot. The spot formed at least over a week's worth of time and it's on the "passenger side" of the winch.
Photo 1: Right side of the winch and the two spots are directly below it.
Photo 2: Underside of the winch where the drip appears to have come from.

M925A2 M939 Winch Leak.jpgM925A2 M939 Winch Leak 2.jpg

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are putting the grease in with their oil to thicken it, or replacing the oil completely for very bad leaks.
Your winch is leaking in about the only spot mine isn't!
Looks like it could be coming from your fill level check plug, or higher. In either case it should not be leaking while parked unless it has been overfilled. However your leak is so slight, it could be residual that leaked while bouncing down the road.

M925A2 with dump hoist

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On my m35a2 I drained the oil and filled with the corn head grease, but mine is just a pto winch. Yours is hydraulic, so I'm not sure if you are able to do the corn head grease. Hopefully someone else will be able to chime in with some better advice.

PapaPumpSD

They are putting the grease in with their oil to thicken it, or replacing the oil completely for very bad leaks.
Your winch is leaking in about the only spot mine isn't!
Looks like it could be coming from your fill level check plug, or higher. In either case it should not be leaking while parked unless it has been overfilled. However your leak is so slight, it could be residual that leaked while bouncing down the road.

M925A2 with dump hoist
Well, per the operator's manual, prior to using the winch the hydrualic fluid level should be checked. So we did that and the dip stick was completely dry so there is too little oil in the system. You mentioned that the leak could be from the fill level check plug.....are there separate oil reservoirs/check sticks/plugs for the hydraulic system and the winch itself?

PapaPumpSD

Yes, your most likely leaking gear oil from the winch gear housing.

M925A2 with dump hoist
Oh, ok, good to know. Clearly I haven't finished going through all the manuals so I appreciate your guidance. I will have to check the fluid level in the winch gear housing then. I like the idea of adding the JD Corn Head grease, but only if it's necessary. I'd prefer a winch that didn't drip and the Corn Head grease is inexpensive so it may be a low-cost peace-of-mind fix!

Brent

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DO NOT PUT GREASE IN YOUR HYDRAULIC TANK!!!

Image1464121003.602009.jpg

Pull this plug, the oil should just be to the bottom of it. If it's overfull, you might want to pull the drain plug on the bottom and make sure it's not full of water.

M925A2 with dump hoist