• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch level wind

bigred350

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi there will the winch level wind off of an m816 wrecker fit the winch im putting on my m923a2? the winch im installing came off of an m932a2

74M35A2

I did the same thing, absolutely had to have the level wind on my 925A2. Loved the way it looked and worked. But, paying out the cable as free spool was much more difficult than I anticipated, because you are bending the 5/8" cable in a pretty tight 180 degree loop over the top pulley. Winch brake was loose and tensioner was loose, but it was still way more difficult than I wanted to deal with, so I removed it. I had the truck stuck 180' feet from the closest tree just weeks before, so being able to pay out the cable easily was important.

I know this had nothing to do with your question. You will have to undo the clevice at the chain end and pull the cable out in order to feed it through the tensioner pulleys. The tensioner bolts in place where the two friction guide bars are on the winch, same bolts and location, 2 on each side. Top mount level wind portion is self explanatory, I think 2 bolts down from the top on each side. They look great and opening of the hood does not contact it.

bigred350

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am totally going for the look wont be using the winch that much. Do you still have the level wind and tensioner? if so want to sell it?

74M35A2

I am totally going for the look wont be using the winch that much. Do you still have the level wind and tensioner? if so want to sell it?
I don't, I sold them together. The are a little more difficult to find, and not very low cost. It was going to be like $700 or so to buy both used. Entire 925 front cut off came up in classified that had a level wind on it. I bought it all for $700 because I wanted the hydro winch for the rear anyway. Tried the level wind, didn't like it, sold it for $500, and now have extra the 925 winch and frame extensions for $200. (Frame extensions for sale for $300 now :) ).

74M35A2

don't forget the correct length hood rod . or you will smash the grill up .
My hood and grill cleared the front level wind on my 925. I have seen a different prop rod length available, not sure if that is just 923/5 difference, or if it is for the level wind. Possibly mine had a level wind prop rod to begin with.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The different hood prop lengths are for winch or no winch and do not have anything to do with the level wind. A winch hood prop will work with a level wind.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i plan on putting one on my 925a2 only problem i see is you have to unwind the winch and then wrap the cable the opposite way as it is originally. my buddy zack told me to swap the hoses by the winch so in the cab it the sticker for unwind and wind are still the same. im thinking that you will not be alone on a winch use so 2 guys can pull the cable out without much trouble

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
not on mine. right now the winch pays out from the bottom. and on my 816 that has rewinder the cable has to come up on the back side and go over the rewinder then out the front.

74M35A2

I didn't have to rewind my winch cable "backwards" onto the drum when I added the level wind. It did have to feed it up from the drum back side and over the level wind, vs pay out from the front side of the drum and under the horizontal fairlead roller, but the direction of which the cable is wound onto the drum was the same, and therefore the control valve direction remained the same. I believe the cable take out of the drum where the cable first attaches is directional.

Is there a difference in drum rotation direction between the mechanical (800 series) vs hydraulic (900 series) drive winches? Mine is/was M925A2, hydraulic.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The cable "should " go under the front roller, up the front of the winch to either though the level wind setup or up over the drum, the top of the winch turns towards to radiator to pull in. the reason for the front roller is to keep the cable out of the bumper.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks