• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch level winder rebuild

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jim - are they just 'frozen' or are they 'totalled'?

When I rebuilt my level wind - they were all frozen but I was able to take them apart, (pryed the lip of the cage adjacent the hole in the outer so one needle could be pushed out) - clean and polish each needle and repack them back into the races. They are not used as 'high speed' bearings so only need to turn relatively smoothly compared to an axle or crankshaft etc. May be an option if you are in BFE and don't have adequate and cheap replacements available.

Do you have a grease fitting on the bottom of the pivot shaft? I modified my casing to take a grease nipple inlieu of the upgraded shaft with tapping for the zerk. (Shaft too hard to drill)
See thread :
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?89201-Level-Wind-maintenance-anomoly-Front-Winch

Jim Hunter

poppop Good news as I thought that these bearings are NLA.

zebedee awesome work! No they are just frozen...I have them soaked in diesel fuel and now they spin freely...What about the wool seals ???
Also how I can remove the center pulley base assembly ???

Thank you,
Jim

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Felt sheet from your local fabric/arts n crafts store.

Not sure which part you are trying to remove - sheck the TM's for components. Probably need a shop press.

Is this the part you are refering to?

level wind.jpg

Last edited:

Jim Hunter

@poppop Any luck you have the part # from the rollers bearings as here in Slovenia they are not available anywhere...

@zebedee Thank you for the good advice.Yes this is the part I refer to...I just save one of my bearings using your great advice...

Also the roller bearings can be pressed out from both sides or not ???

Jim

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
level wind bearings.jpg
There shouldn't be an issue in pressing out the needle rollers. Pretty simple assembly.
Hope this helps.

poppop

I just checked back in on this thread. I will have to do some research and see if I can come up with the bearing numbers. May take me a few days to have time.

Jim Hunter

Finally I have tear down and the second level winder (early model)...
Interesting and worth to mention difference is that on Zebedees level winder the copper bushing is pressed in the sheave frame...At the early model the bushing is firmly pressed in the roller bearings frame and not at the sheave frame...Late model is same as Zebedees...

Jim

Attachments

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does your main vertical shaft have a grease fitting on the bottom end or will you do the grease fitting mod?

Let me know if the details are adequate. You are aiming for grease supply to the gap between the upper and lower ball races - right where the two rings of balls are.

Attachments

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The following is the bearing number. I have not studied the difference between the new and old style?

B006KT2PHQ2Koyo Torrington HJ-324120 Needle Roller Bearing, Heavy Duty, HJ Type, Open, Oil Hole, Steel Cage, Inch, 2" ID, 2-9/16" OD, 1-1/4" Width, 8600rpm Maxim
Sold by:

This is for the rear winch level wind on a 5 ton. The bearing presses into the roller and over the shaft.

Dont replace the felt, it is just a moisture wick and holds water. Keep them greased and you are good to go.

Last edited:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry original post had front winch level wind, I was reminded by an excellent SS member, it was my rear winch that was rebuilt. Darn Old AGE :(

The post has been edited but wanted to also update any users reading only email.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Another thing that we did was drill out and install grease fittings on the two front roller axles on the front level wind (Zebedee idea), you would not believe how much better greasing you will get.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks