• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch Lever mounting...

DanMartin

Hey all,

I'm mounting the hand lever for the winch (connects to the transmission-mounted PTO) on my '88 M35A2C and running into some issues.

I got all of the parts for my winch install from an older M35 (no idea what year), but so far everything has bolted up nicely (yes, I got all of the 'bits'). The one part I'm having trouble with is the mounting point for the hand lever. It looks like the bracket that the handle pivots on (large flat piece with a "U" loop on one end) is not compatible with the mount under the floor on mine. I'm thinking it may have something to do with the dual circuit braking system that mine has (I believe '87 and newer A2s had the dual setup, as well as all of the A3s).

I've looked in several of the TMs (including the winch manual) and cannot find an exploded diagram of the winch-pto lever mounting that would help me debug this.

So...has anyone installed a winch on a dual-circuit brake system truck before? Is anyone aware of changes to the winch lever?

...or maybe I'm just missing something silly. :)

I'll upload some pics when I get under the truck later tonight.

Thanks in advance...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Emmado22 has a late model deuce with winch, he may be able to answer your Q.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You dont need the large flat U shaped piece. Take the lever off the U piece..... The winch lever pivots on a metal part thats already on the truck. (I think it's part of what the brake pedal arm mounts to...) all you need is a 3 inch or so bolt that goes thru the hole in the lever and the metal part...

I'll take pics tommorrow if you need...

Let me know if that helps!

DanMartin

That makes sense...I know what you're talking about with the bracket that is already on the truck...I just wasn't sure if there were 'other' parts that I would need.

Let me give that a go and I'll get back with you later tonight.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All you need is a bolt/nut/washers... I used a longer than needed bolt, then put 2 nuts on the end to keep the lever/mount from binding and not shake itself apart.

DanMartin

James, thanks for the pic. Yes, that helps in that it shows me what the older mounting looked like. On the newer trucks with the split brake system, the master cylinder mounting is very different (a bit of a plumbing nightmare really), so the older mounting does not work, but there is an integral mount built in to the brake pedal mount that the winch lever will pivot on.

So, yes that helps me grok this a bit better...

Stay tuned.

moreorles2

Dan- one helpful hint .. Per TM 9-2320-361-20 Page 13-35....The duel ended clevis rod should be adjusted to be 5.63 inches center to center of the clevis points. Took me some time to find that one........

broman78

I have my bolt inserted into my brake pedal, my concern is while I move the shifter I keep hitting the plumbing running to the master cylinder. I haven't yet mounted my pto. Is that were the adjustment of 5.63 inches comes into play.
Thank you search engine. If you search you will be rewarded.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks