• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch lever

Lorax

For the past few weeks, I’ve been working on a winch install on my 1971 M35. With the winch sitting on the work table, I couldn’t get the spool to turn. The clutch lever would move, with a solid feeling “clunk” at each position, but the spool still wouldn’t unroll.

Looked inside through the fill ports, and saw the gears had oil on them, made sure the brake lever was in the “out” position, put the clutch lever in “out”, but could only turn the spool slightly back and forth. The spool didn’t feel like it was binding. The spool turned maybe ½ inch each direction, and stopped with a definite metal on metal feel, like the clutch wasn’t disengaged.

OK, time to look at the other w/w truck and see if anything looks different. And it did. The w/w truck’s clutch lever was able to go further in the “out” position than the winch on the tables lever would go.

Ah, progress. Now why was the installing winch’s handle not going far enough? So far, while trying to unspool the cable, I’d been standing in front of the winch. Well, looking at the backside of the winch (haven’t we all done that?), and watching the lever while shifting it’s position, I noticed a cap screw right next to the lever shaft. Just above the back plate (which was currently removed). The tab on the bottom of the clutch lever was hitting the hex of that cap screw, preventing the lever from going any further in the disengage position.

Ah, more progress. Removed the cap screw. The lever went the rest of the way, and low and behold the cable unrolled under the weight of the chain and hit the floor.

I shined a flashlight into the hole that cap screw came out of, and saw nothing but a blind hole. It looks like it is suppose to hold a small plate around the clutch lever shaft.

After cleaning, priming, painting, etc the winch, I put that cap screw back in and made sure the flat on the hex lined up with the bottom tab on the lever, to allow the lever to turn as far as possible. Sure enough, the lever wouldn’t go far enough and the spool wouldn’t turn. Out came the cap screw again.

Anyone know what that cap screw is supposed to do?

Lorax

Looking at the above diagram, it looks like the #13 bolt, with #11 being the plate.

Noticed something else while looking inside the tapped hole. I can see part of the threads from one of the winch bracket cap srews going perpendicular across the bottom of the tapped hole. The cap screw doesn't appear to be holding anything except the small #11 plate. Mighty big cap screw to hold such a small plate tho...

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went to check on two of my rebuilt winches again: no possible interference, although lever and bolt head come relatively close in the disengaged/locked position.
You must have an odd lever or something else is wrong..., very strange!
Yes, that 5/8x11, 15/16 hex head bolt is way oversized for it's function. Take it out and replace it with an Allen bolt.

Gerhard

Attachments

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i am new to the duece winch but i will have to go look at mine to see if i will have this problem also, thanks TIm

Twisted Shaft

Chances are your shaft is twisted. That lever is way to big for the shaft. The shaft is necked down after it passes the plate. The notch is to keep the shaft from moving in and out. I have taken apart several winches and found the shaft twisted at that point. People like to to hit the lever with a hammer to move the lever. Your first clue should be that the ball detent does not fit into the holes. That plated is hard BTW. I tried to drill another hole in one. If you also look at the lever from the front of the winch you will see the lever in different position from one winch to the next. After you remove the shaft you will see that the woodruff keys are aligned. it has been quite a few years. I can't remember if the key grooves are in the same line or 90 degrees apart.... Maybe some else will know.

John

Lorax

RE: Twisted Shaft

OK. Another question. What is the purpose of the hinge on the back plate? Is it suppose to keep the lever from going too far in the engaged direction?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The hinge plate lock keeps the lever from "self engaging" when boucing down the road, and accidentally engaging when not in use.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks