• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

winch manuel

Rock&Roll

Is there a service manual available for the 20,000 lb winches? I haven't used the winch on the front of my M51A2 as I don't have cable yet, but the drum clutch lever is hard to move, takes a hammer to knock it in and out. Also the drum lock knob will not pull out to rotate the 90 degrees.

I know there are two oil resevours, one on each side of the spool. The one on the drive shaft side has a low side plug, in line with the drive shaft. Is this all oil that's put into this side? I ask because the opposite side has the side plug way up high, is this the oil level of this side?

Chief1900

Rock and Roll, I just put a winch on a M54. Had a little trouble with with clutch lever also. I had mine on the floor for a while and just kept it sprayed down with penetrating oil. Once on the truck it was free to move a little. The drum lock was also froze up. You can remove the handle and the retainer that holds the lock in place, then tap it out from the cable side of drum with a long punch. Once it is out you can clean it up and reinstall it hopefully. If not its pretty cheap to replace. PM me if you need any help with it. I think I have some digital manuals for it I can send ya.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny,

Go approve the manual I just uploaded. Im sure you will find it VERY helpful. it should make all you 5 ton winch guys happy... :)

Last edited:

CCATLETT1984

Jared

emmado22 stated above that he posted the winch TM. Where would that be located? I'm having some winch issues and would like to look at that manual as well.
Thanks,
Jared

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FYI,

Contrary to some popular beliefs, TM's DO get updated on a regular basis. Some of the TM's that are in those links are outdated. LOGSA has THE most updated TM's. LOGSA is THE Tech Manual people... And if they are for public release, they are your free for the download.

The winch manual I posted about should be approved soon. Give it some time, it will be well worth it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark, since the switchover, I can't do anything with admin stuff. Mikey is the only one that can approve it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks