• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch on sale today.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are interested I have a NOS 18,000 LB Warn 24 volt winch for sale , PM me for details , Bob K

Rmtaunton

That one is hydro , which is usually a great thing, but these are usually tied into your power steering pump, which really isn't big enough to run it and you would not be able to steer worth a darn while it is running. People have added a dedicated extra pump to run them, though.
Personally I would rather have an electric and snatch block for a 1009.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it hydraulic? I see two hydraulic lines.

EDIT: Rmtaunton answered my question while I was writing it.

Last edited:

Bobert

That sounds like a beast. I haven't put much thought into a winch yet.

Im wondering if I can just make a mount, plug into the slave socket and be in business.

I didn't think I would have to run hydraulic lines to it. That would be a deal breaker. Need to do more research.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah that's a hyd setup not a DC winch. Wouldn't be something that would be easy to make a quick detach mount. Although I guess you could make a "wet line" port setup from the hyd system of the truck. But since the CUCV is a hydroboost brake setup, I don't think I'd want that risk. The other downside to a hyd setup is that the engine has to be running. And water on a belt or loose belt could make it inop as well. Course a DC motor has it's gives and takes as well.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys thats a heck of a bargain. The HMMWV and CUCV use the exact same power steering pump so that is not a concern.

Skinny

I will tell you from personal experience that the 12k lb hydro mile markers are pretty decent winches for the money. They pull great and the speed when in HI mode spools quickly to get the line in or out. Had one on a TJ that I loved.

Here is the downside. In stock form, they tie to your existing power steering pump (unless you run dedicated which is preferable). Not necessarily the output but when you call for winch hydraulics AND power steering, your steering takes priority. That means any steering input (which always happens when winching in a stuck position) causes the winch to slow or stop. I could not imagine a Cuck with hydroboost. My steering sucks whenever I am hard on the brakes. I could not imagine steering, holding the brake, and trying to pull cable all at once on the same pump. That brings the suck pretty quickly.

I would say for the money that is a great buy but you will get frustrated trying to run it unless you are just doing straight utility pulls and not in a recovery position trying to get up on a rock or a steep obstacle. You WILL want an aux hydraulic pump for that. Nice thing is they run cool non stop pulling hard.

You can run them in a disconnect situation, Mile Marker does sell hydraulic kits with quick connects for that situation although I would imagine that would become an oily mess after awhile.

Did anyone pick up one of these? They are still selling them for $505. I'm wondering what would be needed to run this on my cucv wrecker. Also, does anyone have any ideas on what's needed for an extra power steering pump? I'm only running on alt so have some free space.

Brett

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did. Milemarker sells all the parts you need to connect to virtually any light truck. This one is going on the front of my M1031. Free shipping!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks