• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch only engages high consistently. Help

socom688

Ok gents, I cannot find the answer anywhere for my particular question. So here it goes:

I can only get my winch to regularly engage in high out of neutral. I have only found low a couple of times. I have been able to find reverse, but even that's not as consistent as high. Just about everytime I move the lever forward I can find high. Now, my question is, what should I do to get low and reverse working regularly?

I thought maybe I need to rebuild my pto, but since I have actually found low before without grinding or popping it out it seems the gears are not worn and are good to go.

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think there just isn't a lot of room between high, low and neutral. It takes practice.

I don't think there could be anything wrong with it that would allow you to get to high but not low.

socom688

Ok, I will play with it tomorrow. Lets just say though that I spend a good amount of time on it and still cant find the other gears, is there anything at all it could be?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First I would check that the external shift mechanism isn't somehow worn or binding, or out of adjustment. The shift rod needs to travel little over 2-1/4". That is the distance between shift positions "H" and "R".

All five shift points should be well defined and some resistance felt on the shift handle, while jumping from one to the next position. If that's not the case it may be time to remove (unscrew) the poppet ball retainer (arrow) and check the condition of the poppet ball and spring. Due to it's location at the bottom of the housing the cavity inside the retainer tends to collect water and gunk causing the spring to corrode and weaken, eventually even breaking in two.

G.

Attachments

socom688

Thanks Gringel, that actually is something else I forgot to mention. I can't tell when it goes into gear, there's no indication of such so I'll check out the spacing and the poppet tomorrow and share what I find.

socom688

Checked out the poppet, it seemed in good shape. No leaks and besides a little road grime on the outside, was sound. So I jumped back in the cab, and played with the winch for half an hour. I have successfully found all the gears. Low and reverse are barely noticeable, but like clinto said, I just needed to 'get the feel' for them. It may take a few runs through the gears, but I can consistently find all the gears.

Thanks guys!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks