• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch operation?

racer-xerols

OK, I've got the PTO part figured out - transfer case in N, PTO in FWD, 5speed in first, let out clutch and it should engage the winch motor. But there are 2 levers on my winch that aren't labeled, a long one behind the passenger end of it (I think it may have "IN" and "OUT" engraved on it), and a short on right on the passenger end. Neither wants to move at the moment (no load on the PTO).

I haven't done anything yet since I don't want to burn out the motor or break a gear...my cable is spooled on the drum, not payed out. How do I engage it safely for the first time, not having a clue what I'm doing? I'd prefer to avoid receipt of a Darwin Award...

racer-xerols

I've been looking - is one available for DL? I didn't see one here in the Resources section and haven't stumbled on one online yet. I've printed everything I've been able to find so far, though...just nothing yet on the winch, which is why I haven't messed with it yet.

DanMartin

Please do go through those manuals. Improper winch operation can *kill you* quickly and horribly.

There is a section on the winch operation in the -10 manual...near the middle if memory serves.

steelandcanvas

TM 9-2320-209-10-1 About 3 or 4 pages in on the TM Section. DanMartin is correct, study this information so you don't kill yourself or somebody else. Use the search function and explore this site, lots of great information out there. The forum is cool, but most of the basic information has been covered at one time or another. Take a look around. Enjoy!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a sticky at the top of the deuce forum with links to many of the deuce manuals. Easy pickins.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, ditto. You should read the 10 TM. You don't wanna hurt the truck, or worse, someone around you.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Vintage Video "M-series Military Vehicles" #VHS133 has a film showing the operation of the winch, every part of the operation is covered.....

racer-xerols

I know it can kill. I did concert rigging for a living for over ten years - winches and heavy loads, just vertical. I know all about cable snap, etc. which is why I hadn't messed with it yet. I printed and scanned through the recovery and BDAR manual last week but it appeared to be mostly the math side of recovery - fleet angles, load calculations, anchoring and towing. My main reason for concern is the lack of remote control on this winch as opposed to modern electronic winches - there's really no way to run it without being in the danger zone.

Thanks for the links, I'll start doing my homework!

jasonjc

Re: RE: Winch operation?

racer-xerols said:
My main reason for concern is the lack of remote control on this winch as opposed to modern electronic winches - there's really no way to run it without being in the danger zone. quote]

WRONG: There is no way TO run this winch in the danger zone. You run it from the driver seat. The only controls on the winch are the drum lock and the lever to free wheel it.

Read TM9-2320-361-10 Operator's Manual for 2-1/2 ton,6X6, M44A2 Series Trucks starting on page 2-94 par 2-24 Operatio of front winch.

No.2Diesel

Coincidentaly, My brother and I had the oppurtunity to use the front winch on the 819 yesterday for a first time self extraction from my driveway (up to the running boards.) We've used it many times before and ALWAYS employ the buddy system and the use of standard hand signals and commands: "you muthaf*$#@!" "I said pay it out!" :D

Seriously, I would get a helper to prevent injury and making a rat's nest with the cable.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Winch operation?

No.2Diesel said:
Coincidentaly, My brother and I had the oppurtunity to use the front winch on the 819 yesterday for a first time self extraction from my driveway (up to the running boards.) We've used it many times before and ALWAYS employ the buddy system and the use of standard hand signals and commands: "you muthaf*$#@!" "I said pay it out!" :D

Seriously, I would get a helper to prevent injury and making a rat's nest with the cable.
Man, looks like you need to do some work on your driveway if the ruts are that deep :lol: .