• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch problems

YBC Offroad

Hey everybody, I'm new to the forums but I need help. I have a M925A2 6x6 and I'm scratching my head on why my winch isn't working. I found the winch operation steps in the manual and followed them step by step. The drive shaft for the PTC engages like it should and the hydraulic reservoir is filled. The linkage moves when I move the winch wind/unwind lever, but the winch just flat out doesn't move either way. Any ideas what is going wrong? I'm stumped. I don't have much experience and I couldn't find anything relating to this problem. If you have ideas please try to explain how and where I do the adjustment or whatever you recommend.

Thank you in advance,
Jake

YBC Offroad

I'm new to military trucks so I'm not entirely sure what the spool valve is but I can look tomorrow because it's dark outside. Can you specify where to locate the spool valve?

R Racing

About a foot more inboard than the hydraulic pump. There is a cable that runs to it that moves the spool. It gets water and snow and salt splashed on them and they rust and don't move. Some pb blaster and a hammer with a aluminum drift or brass . Also if I remember correctly there is a hex on the shaft. I worked mine back and forth. As well as beat it . It took about 45 min to get mine freed up.

dikwks

It is on the right side of the truck just forward of the pump, mounted to the aft bracket that holds the passenger side step. Got one of the push-pull cables that lead from the cab attached the forward side at the spool valve.

YBC Offroad

If you guys mean the cable that moves when you use the winch wind/unwind lever inside the cab, that cable moves just fine. It moved underneath the truck, I watched it.

spicergear

The 20,000lb Garwoods on the five tons have a habit of the in/out seizing up internally from lack of use. Most likely you won't be able to free it from working the handle. If you're lucky, you'll be able to pull out the two large threaded plugs on that side of the housing and be able to spray some penetrating spray and that'll be enough. If you're lucky again, you'll only have to work a long screwdriver up in there and tap the collar back and forth once you understand which way it needs to move. That is no fun and I've only done it off the truck. Other option is disassembly. Hopefully, you just didn't engage it. ;)

YBC Offroad

Yes I did. I did everything the manual told me. When the clutch wouldn't fully engage in the winch I rotated the drum and the lever went as far over as physically possible.

YBC Offroad

Alright, so I went out and checked what you guys were saying. I checked the sheer pin, that is fine. I used penetrating oil on the valve and lubed it. I adjusted it so the throw on the lever inside the cab is equal both ways. The "Plunger" if you will, how far should that be pulling out and going in to the pump? It seems to move as far as it can but it still won't activate the winch. We took out the pin and moved it manually and it moved the same distance. Any other ideas of what to look for? There is little to no rust under the truck.5 ton pic.jpg

Ddmk18

I still think it's in the clutch lever. Try moving it while someone is pushing on the control cable to wind it in or out and see if it engages

spicergear

Ddmk18 has a good point- you can push the lever and it will bottom out on the tops of the clutch...so to speak, it will drop in and the handle will move to the side and you should feel it click into the detent (if it's still on there). A lot of times I have to rotate my spool before it will drop into the clutch fully. Hopefully it's that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks