• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch pto backlash?

gunner_bear

I am going to be installing a winch soon on a non winch truck. Question is , is there a correct way to install the PTO? Is it necessary to check backlash of the gears or is it just a bolt on install?. thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A search should get you a few good posts on this topic. I'd try an advanced search in the deuce forum for "backlash pto shim".

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use two one thick and one thin. The part number for one is fel-pro # 55380 and I am looking for the outher number. I feel the best way would be the clay trick but it is a pain in the AZZ because u have to assemble and then disassemble to check. If the clearence is to tight it can make it hard to shift and or wine.

Found it # 55379

Last edited:

bearboley

Just go to napa tell you need a couple tin and a couple thick small pto gaskets they will know what you want. Just make sure after you install it the is some play, just engage pto and turn shaft back and forth, you should feel the gear hit the other. If its to tight you will know it when you start the truck if there is a whinning you've never heard. If it whines drop it down and add another gasket.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only way to check the backlash per the TM is to pull the transmission because there's no way to get a dial indicator between the PTO and the frame. I just do it by feel. Too loose is better than too tight.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do believe the problem with feeling is the output we turn by hand has to run through another gear before it turns the finial gear that come in contact with the spur gear.

I have done my share of pto's one thick one thin and take the machine out and bring it up to full operation temps. No wine your fine.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you did a search for "backlash pto", there are 29 threads to read. I guess we needed another one?

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I replaced my pto seals my gasket was .031.
I tried to check that had some backsash by hand, but that was about like guessing.
I think it would be safer to have a little more then less backlash.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do believe the problem with feeling is the output we turn by hand has to run through another gear before it turns the finial gear that come in contact with the spur gear.
True, you have to take into account the backlash built into the PTO when doing it by feel. You can still do it by feel if you take that into account.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks