• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

winch question

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Enough to do what?

Westech

CPL
should be plenty to spool cable in and out. But DH is correct.... what will you using it for? winches are like storage rooms and garages... you can never go too big.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I were buying a new winch for off road use, it would be a 12,000# winch. An old school 8000# Ramsey worm drive or a Warn 8274 spur drive would likely out work the newer one but at very increased current demands. I am a staunch believer in the 8274.

85CUCVtom

The Warn 8274 is a great winch. I don't think it's enough for a M1009 though. According to Warn you want at LEAST 1.5x the GVWR.

If I recall correctly the GVWR for a M1009 is 6400 lbs.

Multiply that by 1.5 and we get 9600 lbs. So a 9500 lb winch would be the minimum you would want.

If it was me I would go with a 12,000 lb winch.

A good rule to follow in buying a winch is go no smaller than one that is rated at 1.5 times the loaded weight of your vehicle. I personally think that 2x the vehicle weight is a better bet tho. Believe it or not the newer Harbor Freight Badlands winch has been getting a lot of great reviews, both in the media and by word of mouth on the trail. I plan on picking up the 12000lb model for my M1010, and eventually another 10-12000lb for the rear of it. Bang for the buck they can't be beat, and the quality has come a long way.

Skinny

Unless you plan on getting it stuck in frame deep mud on a regular basis, the 9000 lb. is enough. If you need more, use a block. Of course you do run out of cable but that is a different story!

When I say 9000 lb. that is a good model. Not a MM or equivalent. Those make pull ratings with gearing. Yeah, it will pull...if you have an eternity.

On a bigger rig with 1 tons, huge tires, etc. I'd be in the 12,000 lb range without question. I would also be taking advantage of the 24v system too.

MTMUDRUNNER

I had a 12k lb on a Power Wagon, when you get it really stuck that was all the winch wanted to pull me out. I guess one thing to remember is the rating is only the first wrap on the drum, after that you start loosing how much it will pull that is where the block comes in handy with some extra cable.2cents

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I said if you need more a block will double the pull or use two . I was watching dirty jobs and he was doing a miltary show and if I remember right they pulled a stuck hummer out with just guys with two blocks with three wheels on each block.

Shankem-Deep

I have the Harbor Freight Badlands 12000lb on my M1028. I've used it a couple of times to pull my buddies out. They were stuck to the point that the winch was dragging my truck to them with all 4 tires locked.(I was on dry ground to.) It's slow. The cable will unspool and makes a mess if you try to unlock it and pull the cable out by hand. (best bet is to unspool it under power.) But no one complains that it's slow when they get pulled out! So far i've been really happy with it. Check out my thread http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?105450-Diy-Winch-Install

cucv newbie

I too have the Badlands 12000lb winch, on my 86 M1009. It didn't miss a beat high in the Rockies outside Rifle, Colorado on our annual Elk hunting trip in early November. It is slow but.. it pulled my fully loaded truck pulling a M101A3 trailer with my old Yamaha Grizzly 600 ATV in it. Straight up steep grades without a snatch block. There is also a 37" spare tire mounted to the front of the A3 and I had several hundred pounds of split hardwood on-board for the stove in our wall tent. This winch did not fail after repeated runs. By the way.. here's a tip, do not try to use 37" OZ's on deep, rutted, muddy,snowy, mountain trails. They were almost useless, had to go to town and buy some Leclede tire chains from the Napa store in Rifle. Chains installed.. problem solved. I have the winch mounted between the frame rails with a customized HF winch plate and fairlead coming through the cutout factory bumper. I don't know how much this rig weighs but, the Badlands performed flawlessly for me when I put my self in a bad spot by not bringing chains. BTW the '09 has a full structural, custom, front to rear roll cage and HMMWV high back seat upgrade (just sayin'...this rig is heavy!). Thanks for reading, BUY THE WINCH!!

lostintexas

I'm running the 12,000# Badlands winch from harbor freight on a receiver hitch for front or rear use. For $299 I think it is a good deal and I used the savings for two snatch blocks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks