• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch rebuild problems and lack of instructions.

USN_Green_Addict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My winch was jammed up and didn't want to engage so I decided to rebuild it. Truck is a 66 M35a2 was an M109a3.
After getting the winch off and taking out the brackets and hell of a bent up bar with a pipe wrench, I finally got the selector side off I've been trying to figure put how to get the PTO driven side with the gear off, but no success. I have the TM that shows all the parts with names. But it doesn't show proper assembly order. I also noticed on the selector side there is what i think is a brake pad attached to a T with a spring on the back. However where all the other trucks have the lever mine has a grease fitting. I still cannot get the PTO side off. Do I need to take the gear that looks like a screw out first? Im Also going to need another bar mine is bent to hell. Has anyone used thicker metal plates to replace the bent support bars?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the tricks you need to know to repair your winch can be found in this thread: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/winch-teardown-q.80417/

Also, in this good old TM, Chapter 18 (starting on page 346) you will find very good images and detailed info on how to dis- and reassemble your winch.

Note: The 10000# Garwood front winch for the early M135/M211 Deuces is the same thing as what you have, there. (besides some minor differences nothing has changed over all those years).

USN_Green_Addict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for the TM I've bedn reading over it for a while. I've still not been able to dissemble it any further. I think mine might have a lot more rust issues than i thought. I still cannot get the drum off the shaft.

USN_Green_Addict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I couldn't get enough movement on either side to expose them enough try to remove them, unless all you need is for them to only be half exposed.

USN_Green_Addict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Forgot to answer the other. With a pry bar I can get the drum. 1/2 inch apart from the gear side. I can turn the shaft independently of the drum and vice versa.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, just don't force anything! The sliding clutch collar (#7538691) needs to come out first; then both keys. After that, stand the assembly upright - gear case facing down - support it with your feet and pull up the drum.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
....I can pick it up by just the drum and nothing happens
Sure, because the keys are still in place...
As I said above, first that collar needs to come off the shaft; then you can/ must pull out both keys.

Make sure that the keys are not deformed or have any burrs that prevent the clutch collar from sliding further out.

USN_Green_Addict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got that part off with the puller. Im trying the vice grips and punch unfortunately I just keep digging deeper bite marks with the vice grips. Any other tips to get these off?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hit the end of it with a drift punch.

USN_Green_Addict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you just got the keys out now I cannot get the drum any higher than in this picture. Is there anything else inside that I'm forgetting to take out so I can get the drum off. Also how do you get the brake off?

USN_Green_Addict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Status. I finally got it off with a wood block and a ton of hammering. Lots of Watergate out. The shaft will need a lot to be cleaned up its quite rough. Finally got a small enough puller to get the brake off. However I'm still working on getting the worm gear out. Should I clean up the shaft with emery cloth, never dull, ....?

USN_Green_Addict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got the winch completely apart. Does anyone know where I can get the large gear? Or are chances the worm gear is toast as well?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks